Am I infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
The belgian wit that I have been brewing for 2 weeks just kept on bubbling away. I started slowly bumping the temp to 69F over the last several days to see if it would take off, originally I had it around 65F. It never really did. 1/4 inch Krausen the whole time with a very off, sulphur smell. It would burn the nose when I smelled it.

I figured what the heck and pitched some Nottingham 2 days ago wondering if I underpitched. The krausen subsided and it is, sort of half clearing. I read up on my HOW TO BREW and based on Palmer's remarks I think I might have a "Gusher."

I tasted it and it was fruity, citrus-like, but lacked ALOT of fullness. It tasted like a diet Squirt or soda. The Gravity is 1.011. Should I dump it? What should I do?

I had a Belgian wit do the same thing, it bubbled for 10 days. The one I brewed before that, same thing and they both came out great. When it is ready to bottle, do it. Dont forget, you are drinking "green" beer and it will not have the flavor of a conditioned beer. I kegged both of mine and they changed flavor every few days or so. Give it a chance, the sulphur is normal for some yeasts. You also did not give us a recipe. You say the gravity is 1.011, is that now or was it your starting gravity?

Don't be so ready to dump it. Unless it is painful to drink or it definitely smells like rotten food, just wait. Beer mellows out quite a bit with just a little time.

The OG was 1.044 the resting gravity now is 1.011. It bubbles every 15 min or so. I guess I am unhappy with the taste since it is so very "light." It was not as full as I suspected. How would you describe the taste of yours at different stages?

Sounds perfectly normal to me. The citrus flavor is the orange peel, and this is supposed to be a light ale. Let it sit another 2-4 weeks in bottles/keg and try it out. Your OG and FG are dead on so I cant imagine any problems unless you see some odd looking gook floating around in the beer. Its already over 4% ABV so thats unlikely.

Back