Adding Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So... while my first batch ever is bottle conditioning, I figured I would get another batch going. I used a Brewers Best kit which I really enjoyed by the way. Any how, in the instructions they say to "gently sprinkle bittering hops in to wort and boil for 40 minutes. Well I actually dumped them all in quickly and gave then gave a good stiring. Then I expected it to foam up a lot like my last batch but the wort had very very minimal foaming and a boil over was definately not a problem. I know this is good news to a lot of people but I just wanted to make sure I did not do anything wrong in adding the hops.

Any helP?

Well let me know what people say because I have done nothing but dump them in. Never heard to slowly add them.

My guess this is so you an judge the hotbreak, and has nothing to do with flavor or ruining your beer.

Thats all I've ever done, i've also never heard of adding them slowly. If anything might be a problem the 40 minute boil is a few minutes short.

I'm sure it will be tasty ;)

Well the 40 minute boild was for the bittering hops but then it said to add the aroma hops and go for another 20 so it was a good 60 minute boil total. Thanks for the comments btw!

I'm glad the intense boil-over didn't affect you too badly. Oftentimes, a recipe will call for a gradual sprinkling in order to develop a more complex hop flavor. By adding it all in at once, vice gradually sprinkling, you'll bring out more of the bitterness and less floral flavors/aromas. If you'd like to recapture some of the latter, consider dry-hopping. Another option is to boil a half-ounce of hops for 20-30 mins in a pint of water, then add to secondary/bottling.

Back