Confused when to agitate and when not to.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
I know when I am transferring into my bottling bucket, I should agitate the beer as little as possible but when going from brewpot to fermentor or from fermentor to secondary, when do you allow the beer to slosh around and get some O2 introduced? I'm pretty sure it's the pot-fermentor transfer but I've heard different stories.

You want to aerate after the boil and before you pitch your yeast. This is because your yeast need oxygen to work properly. After that, no aeration. If you do you could oxidize the beer.

Excellent! Thanks. I guess this is why my first batch fermented like crazy- I just dumped the pot into my fermentor. The second batch, I whirlpooled and siphoned and got a slow fermentation.

That'll do it. Under oxygenation,one might say. A vigorous mixing of wort/top off water is way better. Or a full boil,just shake,stir vigorously,use o2 cylinder & stone. Anything to get o2 in there before pitching only will give better fermentation. I think this also has to do with proper attenuation myself. Over & above proper yeast #'s pitched.

Back