Caramel flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beani5003

Reaction score
I've been thinking abot making an AG lager that tastes of caramel and one that tastes of toffee. Been looking around and theres a lot of confusion with what things are called in the US and here in the UK.
does anyone know how i would do this? is it a kind of grain that i would use? if so what is it called in the uk?
thanks in advance

I believe you can also boil a small amount of your first runnings to get some carmelization before adding the rest of the runnings.

I'm actually trying my first pint of the caramel amber ale posted above. I made the candy sugar that was linked in the recipe. There's definitely a subtle caramel flavor but it doesn't scream caramel...maybe if you added a little more or tried a darker one. The post on making it should help with that. Caramelizing first runnings is pretty common with Scottish beers and it turns out great but I don't know if it's the caramel flavor you're going for...think Scottish 80+ /-

Back