IBUs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
To me it seems that every time I use a different brew calculator( I like beercalculus) I get a different amount of IBUs with the same hops,weights and times.
What's the difference between say Rager and Tinseth? Oh, and the others?
Is there a general agreement on what is the best?
I found a difference of over 10 IBUs when switching between Tin and Rag:confused:

Sometimes Tinseth can be almost twice as much as Rager. The formulas are all bad, so it's best to pick one and stick with it, understanding that there is more to the bitterness we perceive than isomerized alpha acids, and MUCH more than a poor deterministic approximation thereof. I use Rager, personally.

Cheers for that. I was starting to come to that conclusion myself,lol.

I use Rager just because that's what I've always used. I don't pretend to know exactly how many IBU's are really in my beer, but by sticking with the same formula I have a good idea how one beer will compare to the next. My advice would be to pick a formula and stay with it.

I did a little experiment yesterday. I fed in these details; 10 ltrs 20gr nugget 9% pellets@ 60, another 15gr @ 15 and 15gr dry hop.
I chose the "average" option after Tinseth,Rager and Garetz. The average was NOT an average at all,but some 20 IBUs less that the other 3.

Back