American Wheat ROUGH ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with an American Wheat label. I'm not an artistic person, more of a numbers guy. (probably why I'm an engineer and not an architect) But here is my extremely rough start I put together in about 5 minutes.

I was thinking of the "Amber waves of grain" in America the Beautiful.

Any comments or suggestions on where to go from here would be helpful. I want to incorporate maybe an alternating star and grain pattern into the border around the photo and some sort of banner across the bottom with the name or style of the beer.

What do you think?

AmWheat.jpg

Well, personally, I would have a picture of some "amber waves of grain" instead of a flag.

Legally, you can't use a flag in advertisement, but it's done all the time, even by our politicians...who should know better.

Grains and a blue sky with a farm and silo in the background would seem like a good start. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
Well, personally, I would have a picture of some "amber waves of grain" instead of a flag.

Legally, you can't use a flag in advertisement, but it's done all the time, even by our politicians...who should know better.

Grains and a blue sky with a farm and silo in the background would seem like a good start. ;)

I overlaid the flag on the wheat field to try to play on the 'American' wheat. But I realize it may be a little hard to distinguish the wheat beneath the flag.

As far as using the flag for advertising, I think I'll be OK putting this label on 4 dozen bottles and keeping them in my fridge. I see bikers wearing flag bandanas to soak up their sweat, now THAT should be a crime.

I agree..., flag patches on sport players is also illegal, but they all do it.

The US Flag Code says the only persons allowed to wear flag patches on their clothing are police officers, fire personnel, and members of patriotic organizations, such as the Boy/Girl Scouts.

Many years ago I was deployed (civilian) and was repeatedly told to put a flag patch on my uniform. I stated that it was against the law. Last year an announcement came out for all civilians to remove their flag patches...I sent out an "I told you so" email to everyone..., but I had nothing to do with the memo...

OK, now that you mention it I can see the wheat...I thought they were wrinkles...;)

How about making the flag a little more transparent to let more of the wheat show thru? Maybe a wider border too?

mstev50 said:
How about making the flag a little more transparent to let more of the wheat show thru? Maybe a wider border too?

or, if this is photoshop: try changing the layer style witht he flag from normal, to multiply, to color, etc...maybe something will jump out at you while not overpowering the wheat.

i like it conceptually, and i think its close! in fact, id say you could leave it as is...add some type... and it is a good label.

Wheat King said:
or, if this is photoshop: try changing the layer style witht he flag from normal, to multiply, to color, etc...maybe something will jump out at you while not overpowering the wheat.

i like it conceptually, and i think its close! in fact, id say you could leave it as is...add some type... and it is a good label.

I agree, the wheat needs to come through more, I think changing the contrast on the background layer, (wheat only not sky) may help it come through the colors of the flag. It also needs a lot of cleaning up around the edges and some accents added.

Thanks for the feedback!

My 2c:

Foreground: Wheat Field
Midground: Old red tractor
Background: Silo with the US Flag on it (on top or like it's painted on)

And of course, the big blue sky backing it all up!

Back