American Pale Wheat critque...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmenace86

Reaction score
I'm fairly new here, so if this is posted in the wrong section I apologize. This recipe is a copy, excluding a few procedural changes, of the Brewers Best American Pale Wheat kit. I know most don't seem to care for these kits, but this particular one is a winner in my book. The guy who owns my LHBS keeps this one on tap at all times, amd that's how I came to love it! I just sourced the ingredients individually to save a little cash as I don't need the extras included in the kit i.e. bottle caps, etc.

American Pale Wheat
OG : 1.057
IBU: 14.1
SRM: 3.9
FG : 1.015
ABV: 5.47%

6.6 lbs Bavarian Wheat LME
1 lb 2- Row
1 lb Flaked Wheat
1 oz Liberty 4.0%aa 60 min
1 oz Cascade 6.9%aa 5 min
Lallemand/Danstar BRY- 97
Bottled Spring Water

Steep/Mash grains for 45 min at 155°F.
Rinse with 1/2 gal 150°F water and squeeze.
Adjust volume to 2.5 gal, and add one can LME as it nears boil stirring constantly.
Add Liberty at 60.
At 40 min add remaining LME.
Add Cascade at 5 min.
Chill.
Transfer.
Top off to 5 gal
Aerate 45 min (aquarium pump type).
Pitch (rehydrated according to Lallemand website) yeast.

All numbers above are from BeerSmith. I hit my OG, but couldn't measure FG due to a broken hydrometer. I pitched at 64°F, which raised to 70°F after 24 hours. Maintained 70°F throughout fermentation. Had almost no airlock activity, but I'm fermenting in a bucket, so... Since my hydrometer broke in the meantime I had no actual way of checking FG, so I left in primary for 14 days to be safe before bottling. Because I'm a fairly new brewer I like to taste my beer as it's carbing up because personally I feel it gives me a better understanding of the condition process. So 4 days after bottling it was rough as expected, with slight diactyl in the nose i.e. butterscotch, other than that no real aroma to take note of. It's a hazy copper in appearance, and mouthfeel is smooth and slightly creamy. Medium- light bodied, with a brief caramel start followed by light fruity wheatness(?). Low bitterness, but no discernable hop flavors. There was a slight pfft when popping the cap, but basically no carbination, also as expected. 8 days after bottling this beer has become quite enjoyable. Fully carbed, with a nice 1 finger head (though I was expecting more), and nice lacing. Now more of a hazy amber, with a delicately hoppy aroma, though nothing discernable, and there's also a light caramel background in the nose as well. Crisp and refreshing with the taste basically matching the aroma, but with some light fruity esters. Medium- light body with a subtle creaminess. Quaffable! These are my actual tasting notes. I'm guessing this fits in the American Wheat Ale category, though it's slightly out of style according to BJCP guidelines. The most noteworthy discrepancy is that BeerSmith gives me an SRM of 3.9, but visually I'd say it's more around 10. I'm guessing that's because extract beers typically seem to come out darker (due to caramelization)? Anyway, everyone, even BMC drinkers, who has tried it has absolutely loved it, and I do too. It's my main reason for brewing it! Thoughts/suggestions? Especially in bringing down the SRM.

Wouldn't be much more difficult to do this AG BIAB, the color would likely be nice pale yellow close to style.

Actually not much more difficult at all, seeing as you're already doing a mini mash of grain, and opening and rinsing extract cans.

Same as your mini grain mash except w 10 lbs....pretty simple actually.

Wouldn't be much more difficult to do this AG BIAB, the color would likely be nice pale yellow close to style.

Actually not much more difficult at all, seeing as you're already doing a mini mash of grain, and opening and rinsing extract cans.

Same as your mini grain mash except w 10 lbs....pretty simple actually.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually looking to get a bigger kettle, my current BK is only 5 gal, to do BIAB. I figured that would be a logical solution to the color issue. A small tweak of the grain bill and hops to get it in style is in order, but it a petty amount. I'm 2 points high in the OG for the high end, and ~1 IBU shy on the low end for the guidelines. Like I said, petty, and mostly laughable "off" numbers. Perhaps a little less sweetness would be nice though. At any rate BIAB would give me better control over all my recipes, and personally make me feel more accomplished. I'd probably want to go at least with a 10 gal BK, and upgrade to an actual floor burner versus the stovetop though. My circa 1970's gas stove takes almost 45 minutes just to get 2.5 gal to boil! My wife has actually complained about how fast we've been burning though NG since I've started this hobby! Lol

Back