Did I ruin my batch, bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majikterror

Reaction score
This is my first post, so please be nice. I just finished a batch of Ruination and after adding the priming sugar I bottled. But, shortly there after it was put in a fridge, no no right? Is the yeast dead now? Will it not carbonate if I make it warm again? Is it going to be skunked?

Thanks for you responses
Live and Learn

Majikterror

No you did not ruin the beer. If you leave it in the fridge your carbonation will be slowed. Take it out of the fridge and let the bottles stand at room temperature for 2 weeks and you will be fine.

+1 on taking out of fridge. people freeze yeast banks all the time they would have hibnernated at worst let them sit at room temp may take a bit longer no biggie

No you did not ruin the beer. If you leave it in the fridge your carbonation will be slowed. Take it out of the fridge and let the bottles stand at room temperature for 2 weeks and you will be fine.

Thank you so very much, is it safe to bottle condition it first then carbonate or is that counter-productive?

Bottle conditioning is simply letting the beer age in the bottle. You don't want to let the beer age in the bottle without first adding the priming sugar to carbonate it. During carbonation process the yeast is eating the sugar and creating CO2. The CO2 will move into the head space of the bottle and eventually will become dissolved in the beer. If you simply add the beer to the bottle then cap it and let it sit, you run the risk of oxygenating the beer and creating off flavors. Carb the beer first and then let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks at room temperature before you put them into the fridge. Also once you put the beer into the fridge give it a good 48 hours before you open one. This will allow the beer to absorb any of the CO2 in the bottle head space.

If you simply add the beer to the bottle then cap it and let it sit, you run the risk of oxygenating the beer and creating off flavors.

Have to disagree. The yeast will still do its hoped for oxygen take up, it's still going and will try to work on the residual sugars I've found. And it will carb. A bit. Eventually :)

Back