First Lager - 60 hours - still no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southpaw

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager on Saturday. Here it is Mon. evening and still no fermentation. I used Saflager S-23. A small test vessel of the same wort started fermenting at 12 hrs. but nothing has happened in the 5 gal. bucket. I only pitched one packet. I am tempted to pitch another. At what point should I consider this option? I have kept the temp. at around 58-62 most of the time.

I would probably pitch another packet if you have one. Lagers need alot more yeast than an ales, usually double. It looks like you are on the high side on the fermentation temperature, so my guess is that you will see signs shortly even if you don't pitch another pack.

I'd give it some more time. According to my math assuming you pitched the yeast saturday afternoon/evening you are only about 48 hours into it. You are fermenting at a cooler temperature then ale so things are slower. The large volume of your beer will take longer to saturate with CO2 before bubbles will appear compared to your test vessel.

GT

I brewed my first lager on Saturday. Here it is Mon. evening and still no fermentation. I used Saflager S-23. A small test vessel of the same wort started fermenting at 12 hrs. but nothing has happened in the 5 gal. bucket. I only pitched one packet. I am tempted to pitch another. At what point should I consider this option? I have kept the temp. at around 58-62 most of the time.

How do you know it's not fermenting? Did you look for kraeusen or even test the SG? Lagers need time. With only one pack even more time. RDWHAHB (but that is too hot.)

Thanks for the reply. The og was 1.052 but I haven't checked it since and have not opened the bucket to check for krausen. How could fermentation be taking place and not produce bubbles?

What does RDWHAHB stand for? I'm obviously new at this.

So how much time do you suggest I give it before pitching more yeast? It has been 60 hours.

Pitch more yeast, it should have been going and sometimes it is hard to see. Bottom fermenting yeast does not get a high krausen like ale yeast and you should see yeast movement in a carboy. In a pail you may not see anything in the air lock because those lids leak sometimes.

50F to 53F is the ideal ferment temperature for Saflager S23. This is not room temperature! Give it 2 to 3 weeks fermentation in the primary and then transfer to another pail or carboy for lagering.

Do a diacetyl rest for 48 hours and start the lagering in a temperature controlled fridge.

Lagering can be as little as 3 weeks to 4 months depending on the brew.

Read all you can about yeasts. I do not prefer S23 but love White Labs German Lager yeast.

WLP830: WLP830

This yeast takes off right away with a large starter. I always keep some yeast going for the next brew. It is my favorite.

If you have access to a computer just search Google for brewing supplies.

search Google: "Brewing supply in santa barbara, ca" without the quotes.

Latest posts

Back