AHS limited edition farmhouse ale mini mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm toying with the idea of picking up AHS special edition farmhouse ale as my first mini-mash kit. My question is, for those who have experience with AHS mini mash kits, can it be done as a partial boil, say maybe three gallons, then topped off with water after the boil? I am, unfortunately, not currently equipped to handle a full boil, but I would still like to give this beer a shot.

I know any recipe can be modified to use a partial boil, but does this kit's instructions build from a partial boil?

Thanks in advance!

You might check with them, it depends on how much water you need to mash/sparge. It looks like the kit has about 3 pounds of grain so that would be about 1.5 X 3 quarts = 1.5 gallons for mash, then about 1.5 gallons sparge....so around 3 gallons of wort from mashing/sparging. So it really depends on your equipment and whether it can handle 3 gallons plus or minus...and that is without any of the extract added.

Yes. The instructions for the mini mash are usually 3 gallons or so. I've done about 20 mini mashes. Only the Guinness FES was close to 5 gals. If you have a 5 gallon pot you'll be fine. If your brew pot is less than 4 gallons, you'll just have to keep a closer eye on your pot. You can always call AHS and verify with them. Pete

Back