Fermentation Temp For Alt Using Safale 05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffo

Reaction score
I'm using Jamil's Dusseldorf Alt (Cowboy Alt) and he says to ferment at 60 degrees. I assume that would work better with a liquid ale yeast. We're using Safale 05. We have a 60 degree basement or 66 degrees upstairs.

What would your advice be? Would it be a bad idea to get it going at 66 and then put it downstairs? I wouldn't want to stall the fermentation.

Partial mash:
6 lbs. LME

1.33 lb. Munich
1 lb. Aromatic
.5 lb. CaraMunich 60L
.2 lb. Black

1 oz. Magnum 13% AA

1 packet Safale 05

66 for the first two weeks...then move it to a cooler place for the next week. But, those ranges are so close that I doubt it will make a difference.

Just ferment it at 60, but I would use two packs. Or if you start it at 66, you can bring it down a day or two after it gets rolling - at a 6 degree diff, nothing will happen to the yeast.

Most of your flavor esters are produced in the first 48 hours of fermentation anyway, so any benifit you would have to a colder ferment will be gone pretty fast if you did it at 66, so then I would just leave it upstairs if you go that route.

Thank you very much for the fast replies. We're pitching the yeast right now. How's that for a last minute question? Since we don't have two yeast packets we'll do it upstairs and then decide if we want to go another week beyond that.

Back