Cold crash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtuna

Reaction score
Hey, I have a Kolsch fermenting now and would like to cold crash for a few days before kegging. Is it ok to cold crash while in the secondary, then keg under some Co2 to condition for 2-3 weeks at room temp.? Will this effect the taste going from 60's ferm. temp., to 30's cold crash, 60's condition, then back to 30's for tap?

ok, thx. Just wanted to make sure it was ok to bring back to room temp. after being chilled for a few days. Thought I might have to cold condition, which I read takes longer.

Depends on how much yeast you care to fall out per your style. The colder you get (before freezing) the more yeast fall out. An alternative (or an addition) to filtering.

So another couple question here then. When do you cold crash? Right after primary when you rack over to a secondary?
How is cold crashing different than just sticking your conditioned beer in a brew keg and into your kegerator after secondary? Shouldn't it do the same thing?

So another couple question here then. When do you cold crash? Right after primary when you rack over to a secondary?
How is cold crashing different than just sticking your conditioned beer in a brew keg and into your kegerator after secondary? Shouldn't it do the same thing?

I crash the beer after 3-4 weeks in primary I don't secondary any of my beers except lagers . Also I don't crash wits or Hefe's

Cold crashing in my case is around 33° so its colder than what I drink at and is much faster than warmer temps, if you do it prior to kegging then there is less trub in the keg.

I crash the beer after 3-4 weeks in primary I don't secondary any of my beers except lagers . Also I don't crash wits or Hefe's

Cold crashing in my case is around 33° so its colder than what I drink at and is much faster than warmer temps, if you do it prior to kegging then there is less trub in the keg.

Cool. So do you just set your refrigerator to really cold or do you have another method for doing this? Thanks for the answers, I am definently going to do this.

If I'm understanding you correctly, the difference would be that it would still be sitting on all of that yeast that would fall out during the cold crashing. It could impart some flavor. But now that I reread what you said, I think you might have meant doing that after secondary when most of the yeast would already have been taken out of the beer. Is this correct?

Cool. So do you just set your refrigerator to really cold or do you have another method for doing this? Thanks for the answers, I am definently going to do this.

I have a chest feezer with a Love temp controller I just set them in and lower the setting

fermentation3.jpg

Back