Help with WLP500 for FG and bottle conditioning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togabear

Reaction score
I brewed a quad about 3 weeks ago today with an OG of 1.095. Pitched two vials of WLP500 which I know is under pitching but it started vigorously fermenting in 2 to 3 days. Left in primary for 10 days and transferred to secondary for the rest of the time.

Its been at 1.022 for a week now doesn't look like its moving. It is still very cloudy though and the yeast have not settled yet. Temps are about 66 to 70C in my closet and I wasn't going to think about bottling for one more week. This is about 10% ABV and 75% attenuation which is in the normal range if I got this right. However its still very sweet and I would like to bring this down a little more. So should I:

1) Raise temperature to 72 to 75 by placing closer to heater? Its already got a ton of flavor and I don't really want that much more from raising temp. I like banana, dont love banana.
2) Pitch some S-04 or S-05 I have laying around to get it down?
3) Live with it and bottle it?

Whatever the answer, when I bottle should I add a little more yeast to this to get it to carb because of high alcohol? And do I need to add sugar if the FG is this high, how much, and do I need to worry about bottle bombs do to the amount of fermentables?

I have never brewed anything with this high of a gravity so I have no idea what to do...clearly. Thanks and no worries, I am RingAHingAHB, just curious what to do next.

Belgian yeasts love to be warm. Raise the temp to about 73 and they should start back up. Don't worry about banana at this stage; most of the esters are formed early.

In the future, don't move to secondary until at least 2 weeks, maybe 3.

Thanks for the advice! It started bubbling again after leaving it overnight next to my radiator. Over achieved and got it up to 78F, but bringing it back down now. Ill remember not to rack it off until then next time-I was just following the recipe this time though.

For the bottling though, wait another week after fermentation stops again, add 3/4 cup of dextrose (boiled in a cup or two of water), bottle, place in my warmer closet (72F) for at least a month or two, and then place in a 60 to 65F for another month?

Should I add bottling yeast? Just a packet S-05 of should the yeast in this beer still be viable?

Sample (after two months), and let sit for a little longer?

Thanks for the advice! It started bubbling again after leaving it overnight next to my radiator. Over achieved and got it up to 78F, but bringing it back down now. Ill remember not to rack it off until then next time-I was just following the recipe this time though.

I wouldn't worry about being at 78F. I usually finish my Belgians in the high 70s.

For the bottling though, wait another week after fermentation stops again, add 3/4 cup of dextrose (boiled in a cup or two of water), bottle, place in my warmer closet (72F) for at least a month or two, and then place in a 60 to 65F for another month?

I would just leave them in the warmer closet and sample a bottle every few weeks until it's fully carbonated. After that you can let it age at a cooler temp.

Should I add bottling yeast? Just a packet S-05 of should the yeast in this beer still be viable?

I have had mixed results with Strong Belgian ales carbonating so I've taken to pitching fresh yeast at bottling every time. Half a packet will be plenty.

Thanks! Great, thats a huge help. I was going to let this age for a while-its going to be 10 or 12% depending where it stops. :rockin:

Don't move to secondary until your hydrometer readings tell you it's done. ;)

I would have, but it stopped bubbling for several days so I figured it was done....and I broke my hydrometer trying to test it. :drunk:

Back