When Buying a CO2 Tank....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgraham

Reaction score
I've learned a lot about CO2 tanks over the last couple years of brewing and jsut recently when upgrading my setup. Thought I'd share so anyone looking to buy a CO2 tank or upgrade to a bigger one has some things to think about so hopefully you don't learn them the hard and expensive way as well.

1.) Aluminum is actaully cheaper than steel IMO. I had always thought steel kegs were cheaper and since I don't really care about the weight, I have always been inclined to buy steel kegs (and they are cheaper up front). However, in the long run it doesn't seem that they're cheaper. Every few refills with a steel keg you need to get a new valve because the threading essentially strips out so every few refills you're lookin at another 15 dollars or so.

2.) Bigger is better. My old 5 pounder cost 14 dollars to fill up... my new 20 pounder is 19 dollars to fill up. Most welding shops and refill stations are like this. $56 for 20 lbs or $19? You pick.

3.) If you get a sweet deal on a steel tank... Make sure it doesn't have a rubber boot on the bottom. When the tank inevitably needs to be hydrostatically tested (every 5 years, at least in Ohio) they have to chisel that boot off 9 times out of 10 to get it in the machine and you'll end up with a wierdo bottle that won't stand up on its own.

4.) When buying a used tank take into consideration the last hydrostatic testing date and factor that into the price. Testing is usually around 15 dollars or so. Sometimes buying a used tank isn't as lucrative as you might think.

Look for good deals on tanks on craigslist, you can often find great deals there. I wouldn't suggest buying tanks online unless it's a great deal and you have some kind of free shipping. Also, call welding shops and suppliers, they'll often sell you a new or used tank, with a fresh test date, full, for less than you can piece one together... and best of all, no hassle or mistakes.

I don't fill my tanks, I exchange them. It's about $20 for a 20lb tank, and I don"t have to worry about maintenance, hydro testing, and the like.

I have a 20lb tank and a massive (I think 100lb, it's only $55 to exchange) tank in the garage with a dip tube. I have a fill station for paintball tanks, and that's what I use in the kegerator - a 20 oz paintball tank.

aaaah, very cool. i looked around for something like this but could only find it for small paintball tanks. this would also be a great thing to look into.

how much did you pay up front for the first tank?

I'm confused as to why the threads on a steel tank would get damaged, but that wouldn't happen to an aluminum tank :confused: I've never heard of anyone needing to get a tank re-threaded before.

+1 to the swap. Don't matter to me if the tank's pretty or not, just swap me out for a new one and save me the hydro test. Besides, the only place around me that will refill is way of the way, and I have to make two trips (they do all their refills once a day, so I have to drop off and pick up the next day).

aaaah, very cool. i looked around for something like this but could only find it for small paintball tanks. this would also be a great thing to look into.

how much did you pay up front for the first tank?

I don't remember, I bought it many years ago. Around $100, I think

Maybe some dumb ass was refilling your tank. I have both steel and Alum. and have had them refiled over 50 times and the threads are just the same as when I bought them.

Back