Question For Texas Members

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I've got family coming up for a visit in a month, from Houston. Are there any local beers that I should have them bring up for me to try?

Real Ale is a great brewery, if they can find Sisyphus, I highly recommend it, but it's pretty rare.

St. Arnold has some alright stuff, nothing too amazing though, but they do make a nice Texas Brown.

Rahr is my local favorite, but not sure if it gets to Houston, if so, Ugly Pug is great.

Souther Star Pine Belt Pale is good (reminds me of Oskar Blues Gordon), but another hard one to find, as it's the only beer they even package.

And I know a lot of people don't like Shiner, but their Black Lager is awesome.

There's a few others, but Texas isn't really known for it's great beers, and our alcohol laws suck, it's a lot of BMC around here.

Maybe not the best beer, but one that has some sentimental value for me, is St Arnold's Elissa IPA. It's named for a ship in Galveston Harbor that used to transport various wares (including IPA) across seas. Not sure if it survived the hurricane. Anyway, a small portion of each purchase of this beer goes toward the Galveston Historical Society to preserve the ship.
Also one of my first IPA's, and a big reason that I got interested in home brewing. Took the brewery tour and just HAD to start making my own. A pretty decent beer, IMHO.
My $0.02

Back