Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some babybacks I have marinating in Central Waters BBS, also have a turkey breast in a brine and going to do a rack of deviled eggs for the Packer game! First time I did the eggs I only put them in for 15 min, this time they will get at least 45 min to an hour. They were very good but needed a bit more smoke on them.

Mmmmm....

IMG_20141108_113839_690.jpg

IMG_20141108_114333_524.jpg

IMG_20141108_121750_437.jpg

IMG_20141108_125645_913.jpg

Did 4 pork butts on my big green egg today but no pics so I guess it didn't happen. Lol

No meat but did smoke some green peppers stuffed with cream cheese, bacon and andouille sausage. Not the best pic but..... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415504743.192474.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone ever done a pork belly pastrami? I decided to wing it starting with a dry rub. I used dextrose with the cure and heavy on the garlic powder. I'll renovate in a few days with a bit of molasses, coriander, mustard,clove and juniper. I'll give that 4 days or so then smoke. I'm thinking apple and pecan. I'm open to experienced suggestions.

Anyone ever done a pork belly pastrami? I decided to wing it starting with a dry rub. I used dextrose with the cure and heavy on the garlic powder. I'll renovate in a few days with a bit of molasses, coriander, mustard,clove and juniper. I'll give that 4 days or so then smoke. I'm thinking apple and pecan. I'm open to experienced suggestions.

Wouldn't that be Bacon? Interested to hear your results.

Today I smoked
5lb Colby
5lb Pepper Jack
5lb medium cheddar
5lb sharp cheddar

On charcoal with Cherry and Hickory for 7 hrs.
Good day for cold smoking since it was only 34* today.
Like beer cheese has to age to mature its flavors. 2-3 weeks this cheese will be fantastic.

I told my Ma that I would smoke the Thanksgiving day turkey. Problem is, I live about 4 hours away from where we are having it. Any tips? Can I smoke it the day before, wrap it up and stick it in a cooler to maintain temperature until we eat? Am I completely stupid for saying that I would do it?

If you smoke it the day before. I would let it cool down while exposed to air so the skin will stay crispy and hopefully there will be room in the oven or BBQ to warm it up before dinner. If you cover it hot the skin will get rubbery.

Cool. What do you guys think about par smoking it, wrapping it during the drive, then finishing it in the oven when I get there?

I told my Ma that I would smoke the Thanksgiving day turkey. Problem is, I live about 4 hours away from where we are having it. Any tips? Can I smoke it the day before, wrap it up and stick it in a cooler to maintain temperature until we eat? Am I completely stupid for saying that I would do it?

Why not just time it to finish as you're leaving? You might need to get up early.

Passedpawn had a great suggestion. Smoking meat is not always convenient. Many times I've been up very early for a holiday feast but I still recommend to let the bird breath in fresh air after smoking to maintain crispy skin. 4 hrs drive time there is no way to maintain serving temp. If u can warm on the grill 1/2 hr before dinner all should be delicious.
Let us know how it turned out.

I'll do that then. Thanks guys. Wish I could just make my family drive to me. Soll good. I'm sure it will still be deeeeelish.

This might not be what you want (it is Thanksgiving afterall), but could you smoke it the way you want the day before and bring it to dinner already carved? Crispy skin would probably be an issue though...
Just a thought.

thighs on the green egg. cooked em' hot n fast over mesquite with a big chunk of fresh mesquite. the skin is perfectly crispy, the meat is tender and the smoke flavor is phenomenal.

2aj5ezt.jpg

There was an interesting article in our newspaper today about a fellow who plans to smoke THREE HUNDRED-SIXTY turkeys! He bought and resurrected a commercial smoker. He sells these smoked birds and gives the proceeds to the Salvation Army! He has already begun the smoking process.

glenn514:mug:

Smoking two turkeys on Thursday. Spatchcocked, high temp, NO BRINE.

Brining is overrated; especially if you spatchcock and cook to the right temp. Let alone the fact that way too many people brine birds that are essentially pre-brined.

Smoking two turkeys on Thursday. Spatchcocked, high temp, NO BRINE.

Brining is overrated; especially if you spatchcock and cook to the right temp. Let alone the fact that way too many people brine birds that are essentially pre-brined.

Agreed. I actually feel that when I smoke poultry it is almost too juicy. I try to take off a drum stick and the bird needs a diaper. Not that I am complaining.

And yeah, most (all) supermarket birds are 'enhanced' in some verbiage or another which means prebrined.

Agreed. I actually feel that when I smoke poultry it is almost too juicy. I try to take off a drum stick and the bird needs a diaper. Not that I am complaining.

And yeah, most (all) supermarket birds are 'enhanced' in some verbiage or another which means prebrined.

Regulations allow up to 8% by weight of salt water 'enhancement' so you buy a 12# bird, you pay for about a pound of H2O+NaCl. Nice, huh?

It's all about turkey today. A couple of 24# birds are on the smoker as I type this. Should be done in a couple hours. Pics to follow.
Smoking with all apple wood in my stick burner. They are a beautiful golden brown...

Back