Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems Saison is the new IPA.

I think Am. IPA is a distinct style by now, past the fad stage. The hop flavors and aromas that are being achieved are new and unique with respect to the history of beer. Hell, you have Belgian breweries that are making American IPA now. It's here to stay. Again, I tend to enjoy the American interpretation of Saisons very much, Am. hops work well with Saison yeast.

Anyway, funny things about beer. A co-worker of mine told me today that he had to hear some hipster homebrewer know-it-all telling his local beer store guy that he needs to "rack his IPA's to secondary and age them out". WTF? That's all I got...

These are more like "Sad things I saw about beer."

First, a local place called Burgers & Brew has a great beer selection on tap and bottled.

I saw a Paulaner tap handle and ordered one. Instead of the Premium lager, the Paulaner most commonly found on tap in my experience, I was served a Paulaner hefeweizen. While not what I was expecting, it is nonetheless a great hefe... except when it's served at -20*F in a frosted glass, with a lemon. In hindsight, of course, I should have asked which Paulaner it was, and should have remembered to ask for a warm glass, and no fruit if I had known it was going to be a hefe. As I sat there with my hands wrapped around the frigid glass trying to warm it, I eventually asked the bartender for a warm glass. He gave me the usual weird look as I poured my beer into the warm glass and explained that European beers are traditionally served around 50*F with no garnish, but that I understood that most Americans, including most of his customers, like it ice cold in a frosty glass.

continued...

Dang, that's a way better beer selection than I remember from my one stop in the Chico Burgers and Brew. Sounds like I need to get in there again and see what's happening when I head back this summer.

I saw a Paulaner tap handle and ordered one. Instead of the Premium lager, the Paulaner most commonly found on tap in my experience, I was served a Paulaner hefeweizen. While not what I was expecting, it is nonetheless a great hefe... except when it's served at -20*F in a frosted glass, with a lemon. In hindsight, of course, I should have asked which Paulaner it was, and should have remembered to ask for a warm glass, and no fruit if I had known it was going to be a hefe. As I sat there with my hands wrapped around the frigid glass trying to warm it, I eventually asked the bartender for a warm glass. He gave me the usual weird look as I poured my beer into the warm glass and explained that European beers are traditionally served around 50*F with no garnish, but that I understood that most Americans, including most of his customers, like it ice cold in a frosty glass.

continued...

I think every time I ordered a hefe in Bavaria, it came with a lemon wedge...unless they just served it that way because they knew we were tourists and assumed Americans drank all their beer that way.

I think every time I ordered a hefe in Bavaria, it came with a lemon wedge...unless they just served it that way because they knew we were tourists and assumed Americans drank all their beer that way.

I like my beer the same way I like my steaks, if I have to put anything on it I don't want it. But that's just me.

I like my beer the same way I like my steaks, if I have to put anything on it I don't want it. But that's just me.

Meh. I didn't really need a lemon wedge with my beer, but its presence didn't gross me out and it didn't take much extra effort to pull it off the rim and lay it on the napkin. I can abide that much easier than, say, a dirty glass.

I poured my beer into the warm glass and explained that European beers are traditionally served around 50*F with no garnish, but that I understood that most Americans, including most of his customers, like it ice cold in a frosty glass.

skeptidelphian said:
It's one thing for your buddy who drinks BMC to serve you a crafty beer in a frosted mug out of kindness. It's another for a bar to do so. They should know better.

Most Europeans consider proper "football" to be a game in which you can only touch the ball with your foot, and where you try to kick it into the other team's net. Most Americans, however, prefer to carry the ball with their hands and kick it through the uprights.

I would forgive a European for being confused at seeing what passes for "football" in America, but I wouldn't expect him to have the audacity to try and lecture the referee mid-game about how they're doing it all wrong. Seeing an American try to correct him would just be obnoxious.

See any parallels here?

thread derail in three, two, one..

Staying with the topic, but getting back on track...

I always found it funny how hard Miller pushed the "don't fruit the beer" Man Law commercials to fight Blue Moon, then released Miller Chill (with artificial lime flavoring!) only a few months later.

Staying with the topic, but getting back on track...

I always found it funny how hard Miller pushed the "don't fruit the beer" Man Law commercials to fight Blue Moon, then released Miller Chill (with artificial lime flavoring!) only a few months later.

But the 'lime' flavoring they are adding is far from fruit. It barely tastes like lime.

I saw that Miller beer in the black packaging yesterday,but passed. Too many craft beers,many new ones to choose from at Giant Eagle. Even New Belgium 6'rs,Heavy Seas,Deschutes has 2 different ones on the shelves now.And yet,I still see people walking out with BMC's...as one guy at Super Wally world described,"the safe brand". WTF?...:drunk:

Had a sixer of a cold snap in line today, guy looks at me and says."Sam Adams is my favorite imported beer"

I looked at him and said, "yeah I heard that they speak English now in Massachusetts."
Judging by his look, he disagreed.

Had a sixer of a cold snap in line today, guy looks at me and says."Sam Adams is my favorite imported beer"

I looked at him and said, "yeah I heard that they speak English now in Massachusetts."
Judging by his look, he disagreed.

Wouldn't SA technically be an "import" in the UK? :cross:

I saw that Miller beer in the black packaging yesterday,but passed. Too many craft beers,many new ones to choose from at Giant Eagle. Even New Belgium 6'rs,Heavy Seas,Deschutes has 2 different ones on the shelves now.And yet,I still see people walking out with BMC's...as one guy at Super Wally world described,"the safe brand". WTF?...:drunk:

Speaking of Miller Fortune, it's undistilled so it finishes smooth. Wtf?

This is why I love working at a LHBS. I basically get to here a lot of this thread live and in person. We also have 30 taps so that's a nice plus. Unfortunately, the owners chill some glasses, but luckily not all of them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Went to a local brew pub, where they had a "Smoked Ale" on tap. I asked the barmaid to describe it for me. And she said "It's not too smokey, they just put some smoked grains in when they make it."

This begs the question: how else would you put smoke into a beer?

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

Went to a local brew pub, where they had a "Smoked Ale" on tap. I asked the barmaid to describe it for me. And she said "It's not too smokey, they just put some smoked grains in when they make it."

They make "liquid smoke" that comes in a small plastic bottle. You can add a few drops to the wort, but I've heard it isn't pleasant.

EDIT: ^Oops, he beat me to it.

That stuff is supposedly condensate from a smoker. I'm more of a purist when it comes to smoke flavor, but I don't see why a little bit of it wouldn't work to get smoke flavor in a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last summer I made an American Wheat ale with honey, clementine zest and rosemary. My aunt (who likes wine but isn't much of a beer drinker) said, "Ooh, this tastes like an Oktoberfest that I liked". :confused: Well, at least I'm glad she liked it.

Somewhere on BarMaidTalk.com a thread reads:

So here I was slinging sudz the other night, and some dude asks me to describe a 'smokey ale.' So I tells him, "It's a beer that tastes like smoke. WTF else would a smokey ale taste like?

That's actually a surprisingly accurate, unfunny thing overheard about beer!

Last summer I made an American Wheat ale with honey, clementine zest and rosemary. My aunt (who likes wine but isn't much of a beer drinker) said, "Ooh, this tastes like an Oktoberfest that I liked". :confused: Well, at least I'm glad she liked it.

Ya know, I suspect sometime comments of this nature are more like this.

"Ooh, this tastes like an .......(thinks to themself, hmmm can't think of the beer kind, what was that, Oktoberfest, yeah that is a different beer, must have been that).......... Oktoberfest that I liked"

Could have been any beer that they had once heard the name of that was different - not that they actually think it is in that style

Most people have only tasted BMC and maybe one other beer. If it has flavor then it tastes more like that one outlier than it does BMC. I'd take the complement as it was intended and forgive them for their lack of experience. Perhaps the sampling of real beer will sparksome adventure in them and they will become a craft beer fan. We all started somewhere eh?

Most people have only tasted BMC and maybe one other beer. If it has flavor then it tastes more like that one outlier than it does BMC. I'd take the complement as it was intended and forgive them for their lack of experience. Perhaps the sampling of real beer will sparksome adventure in them and they will become a craft beer fan. We all started somewhere eh?

I tasted a leinenkugel and it reminded me of a bowl of fruity pebbles I had once.

Back