In a rush, hoped to add a little something different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Lack of time has got me brewing with Festa Brew & Brewhouse kits lately. I'm content, as the beer they produce is still much better than what can be obtained locally.

About a week ago I 'brewed' a Festa Brew Brown Ale.
http://www.magnotta.com/FestaBrew/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=220
d_fbbrownale.jpg

The ferment went well, and when it was ready to transfer to the secondary, I decided to add 2.25oz of vanilla extract.

I thought it might add a nice 'warm' touch to the beer for the holiday season.

I plan on waiting a few days and sampling the beer with my thief.

Has anyone done anything similar?

I brewed up a vanilla bean porter a while back. I just used a whole vanilla bean in the secondary. The beer came out great. I am now experimenting with my christmas porter. 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spike, corriander, sweet orange peal, bitter orange peal, and nutmeg. I got a good taste when racking to secondary. This one is going to be one for the books!!

I like to use vanilla in anything using chocolate malt. I generally use an ounce, because I don't want to be able to actually taste the vanilla.

Well I took a sample with my thief yesterday. It has a nice subtle vanilla flavour to it, just what I was hoping for.

I'd be ok if it was a little less pronounced, but I imagine that'll happen as the beer ages in the bottles.

So far so good!

Bottled on Tuesday. Drank a pint. Pretty good, but pretty strong vanilla flavour. I'm still hoping it'll mellow, or be hidden somewhat by the carbonation.

Back