Peach Lambic- How does my recipe look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
Bips Peach Lambic
Fruit Lambic

Updated Recipe:

5.0 gal batch
OG 1.073
Ibu 9.1

0.5lb British Pale
0.5lb Am Crystal 40l
3.5lb light malt extract
6.0lb wheat malt extract
1oz aged cascade 3.0%

Steep grains @155f for 30 minutes. Add extracts and mix well. Transfer to bucket to allow to sour for 24 hours.

Boil 60 minutes with hops and irish moss.

Transfer to primary with wyeast 1214 for 5-10 days.

Add wyest 3278(bugs) and ferment 3-6 months.

Rack beer onto 10lbs fresh peaches(peeled,pitted,and cut) for 3 months. Then bottle and allowed to age.

I can't help with the lambic as I have yet to try making one yet, but I am curious about the rice hulls for this recipe. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like enough wheat malt to warrant using rice hulls. Not that it will hurt anything, just extra cost that I don't think is needed.

I'm just getting into wild beer & lambic brewing myself. I've got a sour brown in secondary and I've got a lambic planned for the next couple of weeks.

I won't comment on the recipe, since I'm not informed enough on lambic grainbill formulation. But I will make a couple of comments based on what I've read and heard on BN...

1. Fruit addition: typically, I think the fruit is added AFTER secondary fermentation. So, do your primary fermentation and allow the ale yeast to do it's thing. Then add the bugs for 3-6 months. THEN add the fruit and keep for 1-3 months.

2. Keep the beer cool to cold once you add the fruit to avoid a rapid fermentation of the fruit sugars. Apparently the aroma compounds in fruit are very volatile and it's easy to have them disappear on you.

3. Be insanely paranoid about oxidation.

4. Peach is apparently a real tough flavor to impart into beer, so you need LOTS of it. A guy interviewed on the BN put 3 separate additions of a case of peaches and apricots over the course of 3 years, and it still wasn't overpowering.

5. If you follow the advice of point 1, then you've got 3-6 months before you need to add the peaches. Maybe wait until they're in season and buy a case from a local orchard (if you've got a local peach orchard). Or at least use fresh fruit because I've also read that the canned fruits are ok, but not great. And for a beer that has this level of time investment, it might as well be great, right?

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase aged hops online? Nevermind, my lhbs had some.

Can I let the beer age in my plastic bucket for the 3-6 months when I add the bugs or should it be glass?

Back