my second batch smells like sulphur.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
as i said in the title, this is my second batch. i first made a fairly basic pale ale and added a fair amount more hops in my recipe than it called for, very happy with my results :)

currently i am on day 5 of fermenting a kolsch, dropped yeast at 68f. had primary fermentation at 68 degrees for the first 3 days, started bubbling after only 8 hours and was doing so ferociously. when i started to smell the off-disgusting sulphur smell i lowered the temp in the room to 62. will this smell dissipate when i rack to a secondary in a few days? is it going to result in a beer that tastes like that smells?

i used wyeast 2565 kolsch yeast if that helps... GIVE ME SOME TIPS!

really? that is a beautiful thing to hear! i am really looking forward to having a tasty crisp beer for the sunshine coming soon! how long do you think i should leave it in the secondary? will fermenting at 60-62f for the secondary be cool enough?

Don't smell you're fermenters then....that way you won't panic....fermentation is ugly and stinky, even when it's perfectly normal...which sulphur smells are..

Sulphur, rotten egg smell is a common byproduct of fermentation of some yeasts. It usually fades after a few days (or in the case of lagers after a few weeks in the cold.)

Back