Just starting out making wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHiman

Reaction score
I've been reading about de-gassing wine... If I wait long enough, do I still need to de-gas the wine? I'm going to use a kit, but I'm willing to let it sit for 2 to 6 months.

There won't be any problem with letting it sit up to 6 months, is there?

I've been reading about de-gassing wine... If I wait long enough, do I still need to de-gas the wine? I'm going to use a kit, but I'm willing to let it sit for 2 to 6 months.

There won't be any problem with letting it sit up to 6 months, is there?

Not at all! the only reason to degas it to get a young wine ready to bottle. With warmer temperatures and time, it should degas itself just fine.

Not at all! the only reason to degas it to get a young wine ready to bottle. With warmer temperatures and time, it should degas itself just fine.

I find that some wines release their gas readily. Others like to hold onto it with an iron fist. Time can work to degas, but I've had some batches that bulk aged in a carboy for over a year and it was still gassy. As Yooper said, a little bit of warmth can go a long way. If you agitate your warm wine, you'll speed the degassing along.

As long as you have sufficient sulfite levels and you keep it under airlock, you should be fine leaving it in a carboy for extended periods. Remember to check your airlocks on occasion. The water in the airlock tends to dry out over time and you could expose your wine.

Back