Hop Tea and cloudiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I tried making a hop tea and adding it at different times and I'm getting some extreme cloudiness from it. The first hop tea was just boiling the hops for a few minutes and letting it settle, then pouring the decanted liquid. The other two times I used a new French Press. I've added it late in the primary (when there was still a little bit of fermenting left), added it in a secondary, and added it when racking to a keg. All are really cloudy.

I've tried gelatin but that doesn't seem to affect it much if at all. Is this cloudiness most likely polyphenols? I added polyclar to one of the kegs last night so we'll see if that clears it up.

Is this typical?
Is there a way to reduce or prevent it?
Is there a particular fining agent that works best?

How many hops are you using for the tea?

I can't imagine just an oz or two clouding up 5 gallons of beer? Or why that would cloud up more than if you added it during the boil?

I seem confused on this too...

Not even that much cford, I used no more than .75 oz in any of them. The tea was fairly cloudy and yellow with a slight green tint.

Back