Keeping a Keg Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnBrewsual

Reaction score
Collecting gear and looking for stuff to buy and I have a question.

I was planning on only using a single chest freezer to ferment and to keep the keg cold. I would do this by fermenting a Carboy until its done, then transfer the contents to the Keg and adjust the temperature. Once the keg is low and I am ready to start another batch, I would take the keg out and readjust for fermenting.

Question is... will the beer in the keg go bad if I leave it out of the cold for a couple of weeks while the next batch is coming?

Alternately I suppose that once the keg comes out I can bottle the rest of it and throw it in the house fridge.

What do do you guys think? TIA

I do the same, but brew double batches and fill 2 kegs. If I get the itch to brew again before the kegs are kicked I empty the kegs into bottles. Bottle into cold bottles before you take the keg out though. If you move the keg and then bottle you'll have lots of sediment and foam when bottling.

I convinced myself that I needed a kegerator =) I found a Sanyo mini fridge for 60 bucks, 4433S is the model. I will start gutting it out next weekend.

Back