Glass bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to put glass bottles in a dishwasher with no detergent for a full cycle to sanitize them, or will a no rinse sanitizer and no dish washer work better?

Is it a good idea to put glass bottles in a dishwasher with no detergent for a full cycle to sanitize them, or will a no rinse sanitizer and no dish washer work better?

Personally, my vote would be to use a bottle tree and a no rinse sanitizer. It only takes a few minutes to sanitize the batch of bottles, and you won't have any concerns with the heating / cooling cycles the bottles will go through in the dishwasher.

I don't trust my dishwasher to get hot enough to sanitize properly nor does it get inside the bottles all that well. I totally trust Star San to do the job properly.

I used to use the dishwasher, but now I have better results without it and using Star San. Plus we must be wary of the Jet Dry. It will still be dispensed in the rinse cycle even of you don't use soap, that is if your dishwasher is equipped with that sort of thing, which I'm assuming it is.

Cheers
:mug:

Back