Favorite Yeast Strains for IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICLARK

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyones Favorite strains are to brew IPA's with. Most of my IPA's I use SafAle S-05. Im thinking of venturing out and trying different strains to get some unique flavors.

The two I work with most are WL 001 Cal Ale and WL005 Cal Ale 5. I did just try the WL English Ale and it was not a dry, it left some residual sweetness.

Eastside

I have used WL 001, US-05, Nottingham, and S-33. I did a little experiment with an IPA and several different dry yeast, probably due for an update. Need to get drinking I guess.

Oh, favorite so far, Nottingham. US-05 close second.

Next IPA is going to be Pacman.

For those who prefer Nottingham to US-05, can you explain your preference? I have some Notty in the fridge but I haven't used it yet.

I just carbed up an IPA I fermented with WLP862, Cry Havoc. I brewed it at ale temps, and it turned out VERY nicely. Is it a "favorite"? I dunno, since I don't brew a lot of IPA's, but it sure turned out well.

Notty or US-05

Whatever packets I have in the fridge. No real preference. All american IPAs so far. I wouldn't mind a good english ale yeast for a traditional English IPA.

Nottingham is just nice and simple. It has a good ferment temp range, and is nice and clean. Don't need to deal with a starter either.

Wyeast 1056/White Labs Ca. Ale or Pacman...if you are doing American IPA. Both are super versatile-lower temps (60-64) you get clean, crisp beer at moderate to high (65-70) you get more fruity esters, but never too much. Most west coast IPA use these strains. And I love them.

My last IPA was a 10gal batch, half with US-05 and half with Nottingham.
By the numbers...
OG=1.058
FG US-05 = 1.011
FG Nottingham = 1.009
The extra dryness accentuated the hop bitterness more than anything. There was a slight difference in the ester profile, but very subtle.
Other than that, they both kicked off and finished at about the same time, and had great flocculation.
The bias around the brew club was somewhat to the US-05 side, but there were those that liked the drier one better.

I have read that the US-05 and the WL-001 are the exact same strain. Side by side tasting certainly supports that. Kind of a no brainer for me on effort and cost.
Cheers

us05 and 001 seem to work the same for me, and notti seems a bit maltier.... i like notti the most thus far, but i have 5 packs of 05 to brew the same batches and taste em back to back.

Is 1056 from WYeast the same strain as WL-001 and the US 05?

Supposed to be "Chico" yeast (Sierra Nevada), but I think WY 1056 is a bit different from WL-001, wider temp. range for WY 1056 (60-72) as compared to WL 001 (68-73) but that may just be the "optimal" range beng more liberal for Wyeast? US 05 is the Chico strain.

So, yeah they are pretty much the same with some small differences....

Back