yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellout49

Reaction score
hello, im currently brewing a barleywine from a kit that came with ale yeast and champagne yeast, along with some yeast nutrient. Having never used yeast nutrient before, when and how do you use it? I would assume after a few days of fermenting with the ale yeast, adding it along with the champagne yeast.

Thanks

what kinda nutrient is it? There's one you add to the end of the boil, another one you add when rehydrating your yeast, and yet another one that you add when 1/3 of the sugars are depleted. I'm using all three for my 1.200 IIPA

Yeast nutrient is typically ammonium phosphate and some vitamins and minerals. It's a source of nitrogen so the yeast can make protein. Not sure when you use it with a high gravity beer, I typically use it with starters.

I would think you would want to use it when you put your wort in the fermentor. You want the yeast to reproduce as much as possible and the nutrient will help that out. Not going to do much once your cell count has peaked.

It is probably best used to make a nice big starter! :)

we still dont know what the op even has... do they have servomyces, goferm, fermaid k, or something else?

For example, if you put fermaid K in the starter at a 5 gallon dosage you are likely to kill the yeast instead of help them.

Back