Is this ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeb

Reaction score
This is my first batch, an Amber Ale from an extract kit. I do not know the OG. It has been only a week since Fermantation began.

It has a sweet smell but does not taste that way.

Should I bottle or let it sit?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How many days has it been at that gravity?

More than 2 or 3?

A week is still a short time even if fermentation is done. I usually shoot for 2 to 3 week primary 2 weeks secondary (or a month primary with no secondary). Then 3 weeks min. on bottle or longer if it needs it.

How many days has it been at that gravity?

More than 2 or 3?

A week is still a short time even if fermentation is done. I usually shoot for 2 to 3 week primary 2 weeks secondary (or a month primary with no secondary). Then 3 weeks min. on bottle or longer if it needs it.

to be honest this is my first gravity test. I planned on starting today and test through the weekend. It had a very aggressive first 36 hours, I had alot of foam and hops push up into my airlock. after that it settled down and became very calm.

EDIT: the instructions that came with the kit said to move to secondary after 3-4 days, which I did. and then said to bottle after 9-11 days. Tuesday would be the 11th day. I found these instructions odd but being my first batch, I am trying to stick to the gameplan layed out for me

Of the beers I've made so far only the one that required aging on oak needed more than 2 weeks in the primary. Though you could easily leave them for a month or two if you wanted.

so from this point its just a matter of letting it sit for a couple more weeks? Should I do anything to it to get more activity from the yeast?

Thanks for everyones input so far!!

As others have said, just let it sit for another two weeks or so.

The gravity is *probably* where it will finish out at, but letting it sit will do nothing but help the flavor of the beer. Kit instructions generally try to rush you through the process (the less time an impatient new brewer needs to wait, the more likely they'll be to buy another kit ;) ). Read up on the forums about fermentation and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

As a good rule of thumb for most beers...give it a month in the primary fermenter. As long as the gravity readings remain the same for about 3 days in a row towards the end of that time, go ahead and bottle. As a new brewer it's hard to wait this long for a beer to finish, but the off-flavors produced by the yeast will be cleaned up the best by allowing this extra time.

Be patient, and welcome to the hobby :mug:

As others have said, just let it sit for another two weeks or so.

The gravity is *probably* where it will finish out at, but letting it sit will do nothing but help the flavor of the beer. Kit instructions generally try to rush you through the process (the less time an impatient new brewer needs to wait, the more likely they'll be to buy another kit ;) ). Read up on the forums about fermentation and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

As a good rule of thumb for most beers...give it a month in the primary fermenter. As long as the gravity readings remain the same for about 3 days in a row towards the end of that time, go ahead and bottle. As a new brewer it's hard to wait this long for a beer to finish, but the off-flavors produced by the yeast will be cleaned up the best by allowing this extra time.

Be patient, and welcome to the hobby :mug:

thanks for the info, after tasting it today it wasnt very impressive as it should be for an ale. I expect it to get better so its going to sit as everyone has directed.

I have never bottled anything that hasn't fermented for at least 2 weeks. Partly to ferment out, and partly to let the particles settle out. At one week it may be done fermenting but it may have a bit of suspended yeast. For a beginner who is anxious to drink beer, I would say two week minimum ferment, and at least 10 days in the bottle.

You only really need to primary for ~2 weeks but 3 is better. Secondary is worthless unless you adding something (like fruit, oak, etc) and normally arent required for average ales.

If this is your first batch, the best thing to do is brew another one that you can fret over while it is fermenting and forget about the batch that is sitting (also a good strategy when waiting for bottles to carb up)

PS what are the colored sections signifying? I see the top one says "beer" but what about below that?

You only really need to primary for ~2 weeks but 3 is better. Secondary is worthless unless you adding something (like fruit, oak, etc) and normally arent required for average ales.

If this is your first batch, the best thing to do is brew another one that you can fret over while it is fermenting and forget about the batch that is sitting (also a good strategy when waiting for bottles to carb up)

lol yea I have an hoppy IPA I have just bought ingredients for (not a kit) and I have been going over all my mistakes from my first batch to make sure this one comes out just right. I will start on it next weekend when my wort chiller arrives in the mail.

PS what are the colored sections signifying? I see the top one says "beer" but what about below that?

the orange section below says "Beer Start" and the section below that says "table Wine"

The only time I can think of a secondary really coming in handy is if you want to put a new beer into your primary, but still want time to do a little work on your beer in the making.

I'm new also and my first brew is an amber ale.I just transfered it to a glass carboy today after 8 days in the bucket.Its been about 7 hours and i just noticed some bubbles in the airlock,may not mean nothing but i'm gonna let it sit for a few weeks and see what happens.That sure is a pretty brew,I love the color.

I'm new also and my first brew is an amber ale.I just transfered it to a glass carboy today after 8 days in the bucket.Its been about 7 hours and i just noticed some bubbles in the airlock,may not mean nothing but i'm gonna let it sit for a few weeks and see what happens.That sure is a pretty brew,I love the color.

Sometimes you'll liberate some CO2 that was in solution by transfering it. Nothing to worry about. However, I wouldnt have transferred quite that early. Im sure that it is done after 8 days, but I like to give them about 14 days before doing anything to let the yeast clean up after themselves. Your beer will be fine though, just something to keep in mind in the future

Sometimes you'll liberate some CO2 that was in solution by transfering it. Nothing to worry about. However, I wouldnt have transferred quite that early. Im sure that it is done after 8 days, but I like to give them about 14 days before doing anything to let the yeast clean up after themselves. Your beer will be fine though, just something to keep in mind in the future

I guess i'm rushing a little but i have limited time at home and need to brew another batch before i leave home in 10 days. this brew will sit for 5 weeks before i get back..thanks for the info.. It' good to know i can let it sit and do its thing

Ok, day two of my gravity readings shows the same. But the smell of it is quite sweet, while the taste is not. But the taste does not bring any kick at all, so I am fully set on letting her set for another week at a minimum if not two. Im hoping time will improve the flavor.

thanks to everyone for the solid advice

Back