How long for krausen to fall? (Brewer's Best Weizenbier kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmies

Reaction score
I pitched one week ago tonight, and with the slowdown in airlock activity decided to pop the top and pull a gravity reading. OG was 1.042, current SG is 1.014. I pulled a sample using a sanitized turkey baster, since the krausen level was still too high to read the hydrometer.

I'd say there was still a good 3/4" of krausen sitting on top. No odd colors or smells and the beer itself tastes great. I'm using WLP300 yeasties.

Question is this: how long should it take for the krausen to fall?

Is there any reason not to bottle now? My LHBS said anywhere between 1.010 and 1.015 would be fine for bottling. Just looking for another opinion.

BTW, here's the beer in its glory (I wanna drink it now!):
photo-1.jpg

It's always good practice to check the hydrometer reading over the course of 2-3 days to make sure you have consistent readings and the yeast are actually done fermenting. Also, while some wheat and wit styles can be make quicker than others, most on this forum will recommend leaving beer in the primary for 3 weeks or more to let yeast clean up the by-products of fermentation, resulting in a better conditioned beer. Kit instructions usually suggest a schedule of a quick turn around time rather than a better tasting product. If I were you, I'd leave it for another week before bottling (assuming fermentation is actually done), then get another batch going so you can have a pipeline rather than obsessing over this beer and drinking it early.
Now here's your homework:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/does-3-week-bottle-rule-apply-wits-hefes-also-111873/
http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/

OK, but do I need to wait for the krausen to fully drop and settle before bottling? Or is the SG the only indicator to watch?

I have a wheat beer that's been in primary for a week and it still has a healthy krausen. I've heard that it has something to do with the proteins in wheat that makes this happen.

I'd second the suggestion to trust your hydrometer as more clear indication that your fermentation has finished. Looks yummy, though!

Edit: The FG is the indicator that you want to watch. The amount of sugar to begin with doesn't matter. But if you have too much sugar (stalled or incomplete fermentation) you could create bottle bombs.

I have the exact same question for about the exact same beer and fermentation schedule. However, I was at 1.046 and now am at 1.009. That is almost at 80%, so I am going with my gut...it's done. This is the first Hefe that I have ever done.

I am making the same beer now and it's my first brew ever. I had it in the Primary for 7 days and just moved it into Secondary Fermenter yesterday. I can't wait to try it, it smells really good!

Back