New brewer and starting with Brewer's Best Extract kits, have 3 questions: water amounts, fermentation completion and ABV off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiMike

Reaction score
New homebrewer here with extract kits, I decided on Brewer's Best Watermelon Wheat to be my first brew.

I have a couple of questions more or less for clarity:

1. STEEP GRAINS: In the recipe instructions it says to use 2.5 gallons to be put in the brew pot and begin to heat, it gives you a tip that 2.5 gallons is a minimum to boil and says to feel free to boil more without adjusting the recipe. Once this is done you follow the schedule all the way to "cool wort and transfer", the instructions say after cooling wort "add water" to the fermenter to bring your wort to approximately 5 gallons. My question is what is the BEST amount of water to start your boil as I assume you want to add the LEAST amount of water after the cooling phase, correct?

2. FERMENTATION: OG was 1.047 <OG range: 1.046-1.050>when sealed in the primary fermenter. This recipe specifies that the wort ferments within 24-48 hours, mine did it in less than 24 as bubbles were releasing out of the airlock. It says to take a gravity reading at the 4-6 day mark, I took mine on the 5th day and was in the FG range @ 1.012 <FG range: 1.009-1.013>. The instructions say it is optional to use a secondary and I had a glass carboy so I racked it prior to the finish of the fermentation as it specified and leave it for 2 weeks. The fermentation <bubbling> has stopped as of the 7th day in the primary, and per the instructions I still have to wait another 7 days prior to bottling and then another 2 weeks to bottle condition at the minimum. It seems to me that if I did not use a secondary I would probably be bottling it now, is that true? Is the Brewer's Best team trying to avoid "bottle bombs" and that is why it wants me to continue to wait?

3. ABV CALCULATION: I understand how to calculate the ABV but am concerned that it doesn't match my instructions. My Instructions say that OG range is 1.046 to 1.050 and the FG range is 1.009 to 1.013 which produces an ABV range of 4.8% to 5.3%. When I calculate what I started with OG 1.047 and what I tested prior to moving from the primary fermenter to the secondary was a FG of 1.012 which if you calculate those it comes out to an ABV of 4.59% < (1.047 - 1.012 ) x 131.25 = 4.59 > which is below the range stated on the instructions. What am I doing wrong?

BTW I have checked these forums for answers and I do see some people don't think the secondary is needed but was hoping to create my own thread to ease my mind. I am going to start a Brewer's Best American Cream Ale tomorrow, these directions have less steps than the wheat so this should be interesting!

1. Ideally you'd boil in the full amount of water, accounting for boil off, to end at 5 gallons. But since you're brewing extract, I don't see a reason to do that. In fact, when I brewed extract, I'd try and top off with cold water to help cool the wort faster. So it all depends on your equipment. If you can boil and cool 5 gallons, go for it.

2. The only sure fire way to tell it's done fermenting is take a gravity reading a couple days apart. If they are the same, you're good to go. That being said, using a secondary is kind of a thing of the past and not really necessary unless you are going to add something like fruit or oak or want it to age. Typically, I let mine ferment for 14 days, check the gravity and keg it. I never transfer it. When I used to bottle, I'd give it at minimum 2 weeks to carbonate but it usually wasn't fully carbonated until 3 weeks.

3. You did nothing wrong. Yeast are living organisms so they don't always do what is expected. It could also be that your beer isn't done fermenting and it's going to drop a few more points. That's why you want gravity readings a couple days apart to make sure it's done.

One additional note - If you do boil more water, the hop utilization will increase. If you want to keep the same bitterness, you would need to use less hops. Glenn Tinseth's formula, or tables, can help with this: Hop Utilization Page
Technically, you could reduce boil time, but that gets into a whole nuther discussion.

So I took a gravity reading minutes ago...
4/20 - OG: 1.047
4/26 - FG: 1.012 = 4.59% abv
5/5 - FG: 1.010 - 4.85% abv
@myndflyte thanks for the help, I will take another reading in 2-3 days to see if it is still changing or if its finished. It is now in the ABV range I guess I am impatient...

Any other thoughts?

Yeah, patience is one of the hardest tools needed for brewing. Once you got a few more under your belt, the couple weeks just fly by. Looks like you're right on track though.

UPDATE:
5/10: FG 1.010
-Bottled the 5 gallons and came out with 50 12 oz and 1 1/2 full....

Now another 2 weeks of bottle conditioning....

I will mention that with the Watermelon wheat it said to boil 2 cups of water then add in the 5oz of priming sugar to dissolve. Then pour it in the bottling pail with the watermelon extract and siphon in the wort and mix gently.

The more I thought about this I poured boiling hot water into a 68 degree wort did I kill it?

I highly doubt you killed it Mike, 2 cups in 5 gallons shouldn't affect it much. On bottling day, the first thing I do is boil my priming solution so it's cooled enough by the time I gather up everything and sterilize it.

I highly doubt you killed it Mike, 2 cups in 5 gallons shouldn't affect it much. On bottling day, the first thing I do is boil my priming solution so it's cooled enough by the time I gather up everything and sterilize it.
That's a great tip!

My buddy does the Mr. Beer 2 gallon brewing and freaked out when we were talking about it, thanks for easing my 2 week wait time...

Back