FG reached/huge Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnieto2003

Reaction score
Hi all first time poster here!

I recently purchased a grainfather and carried out my first ever brewing experience, I sanitised like crazy followed all the rules and have the beer/wort sat in a plastic fermenting bucket in the fridge sat at 19.5c, it’s a Belgian Dubbel and the recipe calls for 10 days primary fermentation.

I am now on day 10, I have a blow off tube instead of an airlock and the bubbles have subsided quite dramatically, I have taken a hydrometer reading today and it is sat at 1013 which is (according to the recipe/instruction) the target FG. My plan is to rack it into bottles to carbonate and condition.

so having reached my FG the Krausen is still a good 3-4 inches deep and doesn’t seem to be falling away.

my question is.. how long should I now wait for the Krausen to drop/crash? if it does not drop how do I remove it/rack into bottles?

thanks in advance, I’ve learned so much from these forums and I look forward to taking part in the future😊

What yeast did you use? There are some Belgian strains that are notorious for a bullet proof Krausen.

Your actual FG may not be the recipe FG. You'll know it's done when your hydrometer reading is constant for three consecutive days.
Not all brewers do this, but I bottle my beer and don't want any bottle bombs. I would just modify the above by checking just twice, 2 - 3 days apart.

I used Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522.

I checked the Gravity a couple days ago it was at 1014 ish and is 1013 now...

there is still bubbling but it’s very very soft. And maybe once every 10seconds

The recipe you are referencing that called for a 10 day fermentation may be correct for the original brewers conditions but not every brew reacts exactly the same. A slightly cooler beer temp can slow the fermentation. The FG the original brewer listed was his but your yeast may decided to do a little more eating and you end up with a lower FG. The fact that your gravity changed in the past couple days says that your beer may not be ready to bottle. Being a dubbel, the fermentation may take longer than 10 days.

Thanks.

Theres a lot more nuance to brewing than I previously thought or read, it is a fascinating hobby for sure!

Today the bubbling has all but stopped, I guess il take a reading tomorrow and see where I am.

I had a minor panic today though as I turned the bucket I noticed what looks like spots of mould on the bucket handle,every time I open the fridge or put something in the fridge I spray with Chemsan, I’m hoping it’s not got in there! I’m so careful with sanitation☹️

Back