Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started brewing about four years ago, but I had to take a break for the last 3 years. When I started, I was using all extract kits without secondary fermentation. Now I am trying partial grain kits and using secondary fermentors, and I am unsure about the results I am getting.

Right now, I have a Russian Imperial Stout (partial grain kit) sitting in a secondary fermentor. It has been there for about 2 weeks.

Today, I noticed that there is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of sediment at the bottom of the 5 gal carboy. I was planning on letting the RIS sit in the secondary for another two weeks. Do I need to worry about off flavors occurring with that much yeast sitting at the bottom of the carboy?

Is this a normal amount of sediment for a secondary fermentation of an RIS? When I racked, I had no activity at the bubbler and I stopped racking when I started getting sediment from the bottom of the primary.

Matt

Latest posts

Back