Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a Mosin Nagant yesterday, a 1930 Tula Arsenal, all matching serial numbers. I've Never shot one before but the ammo is dirt cheap and the gun was ridiculously inexpensive, just couldn't pass it up.

Got my first gun yesterday. Picked up a used Remington 870 combo at a local gun show. Wood stock for now. Real tree shurshot stock coming within a couple weeks. It's currently at a family members until the action lock I ordered comes from Amazon on Wednesday. Can't wait to shoot it.

*lock came today. Woohoo.

I've been wanting a 870 for a while now. What was the price for it used?

I picked up a Mosin Nagant yesterday, a 1930 Tula Arsenal, all matching serial numbers. I've Never shot one before but the ammo is dirt cheap and the gun was ridiculously inexpensive, just couldn't pass it up.

Be advised the cheap ammo is corrosive. It's not a deal breaker.. I use it too, you just need to take precautions. Keep it clean. If it will be some time after firing before you can clean it, run a Windex soaked cloth down the barrel to mitigate the corrosion.

chucke said:
Be advised the cheap ammo is corrosive. It's not a deal breaker.. I use it too, you just need to take precautions. Keep it clean. If it will be some time after firing before you can clean it, run a Windex soaked cloth down the barrel to mitigate the corrosion.

As I understand it, all ammo in this caliber is corrosive. I've read about the windex trick but forgot , thanks for reminding me!

Here she is now :D It's so damn comfortable.

image-4078139011.jpg

I have 2 870's, a 12 and a 20 gauge. Picked up the 20 for $125 new because it had a couple gouges in the wood stock. Best shotgun in the world, in my opinion. Very easy to clean, very reliable. Have had my 870's in some nasty weather/conditions, and have never had any issues. Never jammed, never misfired. Love them.

My pride and joy will always be my Glock 19, because it's more faithful than anything in this world. I'm in LE, so I carry every day. The G19 is comfortable and perfect for constant CCW.

Off top of my head....

Remington 870
Mossberg M500
Glock 19, 26, 27
Winchester 30/30
Colt 45, ivory & engraved

Theres a bunch more. I guess my favorite is my 16th century pirate pistol. It was recovered by my great grandfather from a dive in the carribean at some point, I don't know the whole story. It was professional handled and remains in it's original condition. Still fires.

Another 870 fan here... I love it, so comfortable... great balance... Bought it used in '07 at a shop in B'ham, AL... paid $250, it looked brand new!

Also have a Savage .270, an Ithaca Lightening .22 (awesome rifle, gift from my bro, learned to shoot on this gun when I was a kid) and a .45 flintlock rifle... it's an older kit built, CVA I think (it needs to be disassembled and refurbed)

Got my daughter a Rossi convertible .410/.22 for her 11th birthday. My bro and I are teaching her gun safety, etc. So far she is really enjoying the hobby :D

That's awesome man! My daughter is still in the oven, but someday she will slaughter a deer from next to me in the stand......I hope.

I'm not a gun hunter though when it comes to deer. Deer get the arrow.

I'm a 1911 guy b/c the platform is easy and fun to modify. I usually buy RIA b/c they are inexpensive and I'm not worried about hurting the value with mods. my ccw is a kahr PM 9 its comfortable and rock solid reliable.

I am a fairly addicted gun guy. We have over 50 rifles And shotguns. My prides are my colt preban carbine ar-15. Belgium browning a5 my grandpa left me. And a cold .357 lawman in perfect condition.

Is there any correlation between steel and brass cases and corrosive powder charges?

Not really. Vintage ammo, like those Spam can 7.62x54R rounds the Mosin shoots are corrosive, just because of the age. Sometime in the 60s and 70s, ammo manufacturers overseas began running out of corrosive powder and loading with modern non-corrosive powders. As a rule of thumb, if you're shooting vintage surplus ammo, no matter the round (8mm, 7.62x54R, 6.5x55, etc), treat it as corrosive.

Wolf and Siver/Brown Bear make steel cased ammo that uses modern, non corrosive powder.

Also, both Priv-Partisan and Sellier & Bellot will make non corrosive, Copper Cased, quality rounds in the 7.62x54R

First post in this thread, but I've been following it for awhile. Here's my list:

Handguns:
1. S & W 5946 9mm Service Weapon
2. Glock 26 9mm
3. S & W .44 Magnum 8 inch Revolver
4. S & W .38 Special

Long Guns:

1. Remington Model 700 .30-06 (my grandfather's rifle. My Baby)
2. Winchester Model 70 .30-06
3. Remington Model 700 .300 Ultra Mag
4. Winchester .30-30 1969 Replica
5. Remington Nylon 66 .22
6. Remington .22 (1940's rifle, can't recall model off-hand)
7. Mossberg 500 12ga (my slug gun)
8. Remington Model 87 Wingmaster 12ga

Here's my 700 .30-06 two weeks ago in the woods:

IMG_0115.jpg

I stopped counting many years ago. Had an FFL for 6 years and did a fair amount of gunsmithing on the side. My daily carry is a Glock 36. Used to carry a Glock 23 before that. I prefer shooting larger calibers usually 45 ACP, 44 mag and 308 which most find amusing due to me being somewhat small size. I got rid of my 50 BMG last year as well which I still regret and my friends still give me crap for. But do enjoy training and plinking with 9mm and 22 if need be. Due to ammo prices and availability it works out better that way and save the larger stuff for the Zombies.

beerloaf

looking for my first hand gun, need it to be versatile, from dispatching snakes, to 2 legged offenders, to 4 legged wild hogs. I have all in my area. Last encounter was a wild hog while fishing, it got a bit close for comfort, was scoping out the nearest tree when it backed away.

1st choice: Ruger SP101 in a .357 – 2 1/4" or 3 1/16"
2nd choice: S&W M&P COMPACT 9mm
3rd choice: Kel-tec PF9 9mm
4th choice CZ83 .380

Really considering 2 weapons. One for while out fishing and home defense and a small concealed carry. BUT, budget only allows 1 to start. Seriously looking at Ruger SP101 in a .357 – 2 1/4" or 3 1/16".

Considering loading 2 38/.357 snake loads , with 3 .38spcl rounds or +P's for every day fishing carry / range practice, and have a speed loader with full power .357 hollow points for around the house.

SC I'm allowed to carry to, while, and from fishing location. after some range time I'll be taking the carry permit class. (which is why some of the other guns are on list) But for just one, recommendations?

I'm probably gonna be getting the Kal-tec PF9, so I'd tell you to do the same. Just wish they still made that .40

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRbkOdUgms]Kel-Tec PF-9: "Daily Carry Handgun" Pt 1 by Nutnfancy - YouTube[/ame]

I'm heavily leaning to the SP101 as first gun, even though it's heavy, and a bit large for every day carry esp at the 3" barrel (which is pushing me to 2"), might not be bad as a home/truck gun and in the "field" while fishing for a few hours or a longer backpack trip.

The Kel-tec PF9 & S&W M&P are neck & neck for second everyday carry I like the weight of the pf9, but like the larger magazine on m&p.

I don't own one, but I've shot the 3" quite a bit. But yes, it would make it a little harder to conceal, but honestly I don't like concealing revolvers with an open hammer...

sent PM

not too worried about concealment as SC law allows me to carry while fishing. so would be more of an open carry situation, but carry none the less.

9 or .380 would be the carry of choice once I get my CCW.

starfish, if you want a nice compromise hand gun small enough for cc and a decent holster hip carry gun you might want to check out the kahr cw 9 or 40. the 9 is only 17 ounces for a reasonable cc and has a 3.75 barrel for good accuracy and as a bonus its made in the good ole USA.

Have you taken it out yet? I've been thinking of picking one up for deer hunting, but when I think about buying the synthetic stock, the scope mount, the scope, I figure I can buy something along the same lines for about the same price. But you can't beat the price of ammo.

I'm picking up my new S&W SW40VE after work today, my first pistol. :rockin:

Next will be a Taurus 732 for when I get my CC license, and then finally my AR15 build.

Right now I have:

Reminton 870 Express 20G - Stock
Marlin .22 - Stock
Chinese made SKS - Tapco 6 position stock, 3x scope, 30 round mag, and foregrip.

starfish, if you want a nice compromise hand gun small enough for cc and a decent holster hip carry gun you might want to check out the kahr cw 9 or 40. the 9 is only 17 ounces for a reasonable cc and has a 3.75 barrel for good accuracy and as a bonus its made in the good ole USA.

just came back from local gun shop, saw the Kahr in 9mm liked the weight once I get my CC I may revisit that, also checked out 2 Kel-tecs.

They where out of stock on the Ruger SP 101's which I've pretty much decided on as first all-arounder (saw one at cabelas in PA)

I was Disappointed no S&W M&P Compacts in stock.

Was told my top list of guns where all popular and generally leave store quickly.

so as we stand on wish list:
#1 Ruger SP 101 .357 2" or 3" (don't want to go hammerless if I can) 3" only marginally larger from comparison @ cabelas

#1A) Any other suggestions in the .357 that's similar to the Ruger SP 101. S&W stuff of similar size seemed much lighter, I actually like the weight of the SP 101 in hand but prolonged carry may be an issue. Not bad for home, fishing, or camp protection. Possibly holster in or to backpack for long hiking.

once I get a CCW permit for SC or find a really good deal

#2 S&W M&P Compact 9mm

#3 Kahr CW9 or Kel-tec PF9

#4 CZ 83 satin nickel in .380 (fired that very nice looking gun several years back and it's nice & comfortable, but a 9mm has just a bit more umph)

Find what you want then buy it online for cheaper. it'll be shipped local to a gun store of your choosing to fill out the legal paperwork. They'll charge you a small fee.

I bought a couple from: http://www.budsgunshop.com

Find what you want then buy it online for cheaper. it'll be shipped local to a gun store of your choosing to fill out the legal paperwork. They'll charge you a small free.

yeah can get cheaper online then shipping to same shop seems close. never had S&W M&P 9mm so just a bit leery on that. Sold to 99% on Ruger SP101 in .357.
just need to decide on 2 or 3" but kid at gun shop said he didn't see a 2" online that wasn't hammerless, thought cabelas had 2" with hammer.

Oh how I wish we had CCW in Canada.. Maybe one day.

I have a Mosin Nagant M44, a 1952 Tula SKS and a Tokarev TT-33. I love Russian surplus, it's cheap and plentiful. I can't wait to shoot up my registry certificates once the Canadian long gun registry is gone!

Oh how I wish we had CCW in Canada.. Maybe one day.

I have a Mosin Nagant M44, a 1952 Tula SKS and a Tokarev TT-33. I love Russian surplus, it's cheap and plentiful. I can't wait to shoot up my regsitry certificates once the Canadian long gun registry is gone!

Sound like a buddy of mine from PA... loves his Russian Surplus:D seems like solid stuff. can ammo be fussy through them? or are they made to shoot crap?

Sound like a buddy of mine from PA... loves his Russian Surplus:D seems like solid stuff. can ammo be fussy through them? or are they made to shoot crap?

They'll pretty much shoot anything you put into them. I've been shooting 50+ year old Russian surplus ammo through my Mosin with no problems. These weapons were designed for Russian peasants to be able to shoot and clean easily, so they're solid and have strong actions. The only thing with shooting surplus, as opposed to new factory ammo, is that surplus ammo is corrosive. The barrell and receiver should be flushed with boiling water and oiled after firing, or at least have some solvent put through there. I'm willing to do it, as surplus ball ammunition is way cheaper than new stuff.

I'm probably gonna be getting the Kal-tec PF9, so I'd tell you to do the same. Just wish they still made that .40

Kel-Tec PF-9: "Daily Carry Handgun" Pt 1 by Nutnfancy - YouTube

I have a pf-9. Its definatly a purpose built ccw gun. I personally would not recommend it to anyone who is looking beyond a small carry piece.

The trigger sucks, and the recoil is painful. It does a very good job as a 9mm pocket gun though. I carried mine for a few years before switching over to a G19. I still carry it during the summer.

Have you taken it out yet? I've been thinking of picking one up for deer hunting, but when I think about buying the synthetic stock, the scope mount, the scope, I figure I can buy something along the same lines for about the same price. But you can't beat the price of ammo.

I'm picking up my new S&W SW40VE after work today, my first pistol. :rockin:

Next will be a Taurus 732 for when I get my CC license, and then finally my AR15 build.

Right now I have:

Reminton 870 Express 20G - Stock
Marlin .22 - Stock
Chinese made SKS - Tapco 6 position stock, 3x scope, 30 round mag, and foregrip.

I haven't shot it yet, I'm itching to though!

Have you gotten that SW40VE yet? If not, DON'T!

MyNameIsPaul said:
I haven't shot it yet, I'm itching to though!

Have you gotten that SW40VE yet? If not, DON'T!

Any reason why you say that?

I've read a few negative things on them, but most are unauthenticated. Mostly it's just complaints about the trigger pull, in my eyes, any pistol with no safety and less than a 10 pound trigger pull is a safety hazard.

I picked it up last night, so far I love it, haven't fired it yet though, we'll see how that goes.

I got a Heritage Rough Ryder .22 revolver for Christmas and picked up a Marlin 60 yesterday on sale at Dunhams. Can't wait for a little plinking.

IrregularPulse said:
I got a Heritage Rough Ryder .22 revolver for Christmas and picked up a Marlin 60 yesterday on sale at Dunhams. Can't wait for a little plinking.

Man you've got trigger fever. What you need to pick up is a Marlin 45-70 ;)

Just found this thread, i'm not a huge collector or anything but i've been a shooter most of my life. I've owned several guns over the years and down sized a while back to just my Glock 22 .40 cal, NEF 12 gauge pump, and my AR-15 that i built myself.

bottlebomber said:
Man you've got trigger fever. What you need to pick up is a Marlin 45-70 ;)

I shot my uncles .45-70 lever action a few times, yikes. Its a good time, you'll feel it the next day. Pricey ammo too.

Back