You can use a syringe to create foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
i was messing around today in my kitchen and found that if you pour a bottled beer real slow so there isnt any head you can use a syringe (used to inject marinade in meat) to suck up a small amount out of the glass and when you inject it back in it makes it as though it was poured through a sparkler from a beer engine. the "needle" part on my syringe has 4 small holes similar to a sparkler. the head is really thick a creamy like a draught beer and last for quite a while.:mug:

just make sure you dont pull too much into the syringe, i did a full one on my 1st try and it foamed so much i lost about half the glass.:drunk:

Nothing new. These stout syringes have been around for a while.

teh guiness widget pushes out nitrogen, giving the CO2 in the beer a nucleation site to bond to.

squirting through the syringe does the same thing, but is a lot cheaper than getting a beergas and stout restrictor plate for your kegerator.

teh guiness widget pushes out nitrogen, giving the CO2 in the beer a nucleation site to bond to.

Actually that's an old myth. The patent is out there to read. It's simply a hollow plastic ball (or tube in the bottles) that has small perforations in it. As the bottle pressurizes after capping, beer is forced into the widget. When the beer is opened, the beer rushes back out the holes, just like the syringe.

The party pooper in me wants to ask why you can't vary the amount of head with your pour.

It's not the same. This adds a creaminess the pouring does not do. Pouring hard will give you alot of bubbles, but the syringe gives you alot of very tiny bubbles. It gives the same look as if you just properly poured a Guinness

As mentioned this seems useful for stouts especially. I've tried to get the guiness draught head by pouring method alone and it doesn't cut it, now I gotta go find a syringe!

As mentioned this seems useful for stouts especially. I've tried to get the guiness draught head by pouring method alone and it doesn't cut it, now I gotta go find a syringe!

You'll be happy, it clouds the whole glass and slowly works up to form a thick head

So how much do you draw up approximately? 5 ml? 10 ml?

Great find, too! Gotta find one of those and give it a try.

I use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the syringe YMMV

from what ive tried the more carbed the beer is the less you need to draw up. if you do too little you can just do it again to get more head.

Interesting bit from wikipedia: Bottled Draught Guinness was formulated in 1978 and launched into the Irish market in 1979. It was never actively marketed internationally as it required an initiator which looked rather like a syringe to make it work.

I accidentally froze my last stout in the keg and after I thawed it out and re-carbed it, it had the interesting characteristic of down flowing bubbles like a Guinness dispensed with only CO2. Don't know how or why but it looked neat and tasted good too. :)

Trying to think of how to rig something up in the kitchen without having to shop for a syringe...

How small does the tip of the syringe have to be? I have a big syringe at home, but it was for administering oral meds so it has no needle.
hmmm... might have to pick up some stout on the way home...

I just got one and this is beautiful. It's not super thick like nitrogen would make it but it's very tight and leaves really nice lacing.

Great idea. The syringes cost about 3 bucks. I happened to have one.

lg1077042.jpg

Back