Home made wine for more than 10 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbieguy

Reaction score
Is it possible to make your own wine that you can store for more than 10 years? thanks :)

It depends on what kind of wine you are making. Some wines don't age well and are meant to be drunk young, while some benefit from aging. I don't like to age beyond 5 years because if the wine is pretty good by then I figure its better to drink it rather than take the risk of it going bad.

Bottles need to be stored lying down with the cork tilted downward. From what I have heard from collectors, storing upright for an extended amount of time (10 Years) could allow the corks to dry out and possibly allow air/O2/contamination into the bottle. Storing with the cork pointed slightly downward keeps the wine touching the cork and the cork moist.

There are so many factors!!!!!!
Ill try to help you, based on what i read in books, and from experience.
So...
Red wines usualy last longer than white or rose wines
Wines that have contact with wood usualy last longer, becouse they extract woody flavors, but not only that, the wine also recibes tanin, and tanin is a strong anti-oxidant, and naturaly protects the wine, my favorit woods are american and french oak, cherry and chessnut. I usualy use at least too tipes of each one, simply dry and light toast. Some times medium or strong toast, the species of the wood and the kind of toast, change dramatacly a wine! Make some experiences!

It depends on what kind of wine you are making. Some wines don't age well and are meant to be drunk young, while some benefit from aging. I don't like to age beyond 5 years because if the wine is pretty good by then I figure its better to drink it rather than take the risk of it going bad.

This is a theme i love! Im portuguese! We make the best corks in the world!
Madcientist is absolutly right!
Use a good cork! Natural cork, not filled cork, not agglomeratte cork, a nice natural portuguese cork.
The cork should be 30 to 50mm tall and 6 to 10mm wider than the inside diameter of the botleneck.
Also, after corking the botle, put some "lacre", hot liquid candle wax over the top, so the cork stays protected and doesnt rothen from the outside in. In case of hi aplitude of temperature, humidity etc can happen, and the wax seal is natural and realy helps avoid it!

This is a theme i love! Im portuguese! We make the best corks in the world!
Madcientist is absolutly right!
Use a good cork! Natural cork, not filled cork, not agglomeratte cork, a nice natural portuguese cork.
The cork should be 30 to 50mm tall and 6 to 10mm wider than the inside diameter of the botleneck.
Also, after corking the botle, put some "lacre", hot liquid candle wax over the top, so the cork stays protected and doesnt rothen from the outside in. In case of hi aplitude of temperature, humidity etc can happen, and the wax seal is natural and realy helps avoid it!

Back