Simcoe + Citra + Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxCaseyBrewxX

Reaction score
How's it going...

I don't have a lot of experience dry hopping and the last batch I did was Citra and Amarrilo, which came out super pineapple standish... I'm just about to dry hop my next batch and was thinking 1oz each of Simcoe, Citra & Cascade for 7 days. Anyone ever dryhop with this blend? Thoughts? Descriptions of anticipated taste? I definitely want to have a nice citrus/piney result...

i've used simcoe and cascade together in a really good ipa. but the dry hop was all cascade.

Citra's tropical fruit dominance inhibits some of Simcoe's musky pine characteristics. For mostly pine with a touch of citrus, I'd go 2 oz. Simcoe and 1 oz. Cascade. No Citra (or only 1/2 oz. of it in addition to the previously prescribed schedule).

Cool. This batch is a Rye IPA with the following hop schedule:

1oz Chinook 45min
1oz Amarillo 30min
1oz Simcoe 15min
.5oz Citra 10 min
1.5oz Citra 5 min

I want to dry hop:
1oz Citra 7 days
1oz Cascade 7 days
1oz Simcoe 7 days

image-2643384839.jpg

Looks like an awesome color. For an IIPA, I'd recommend dryhopping with 4-5 oz. Some Citra is okay, but limit it to 1 oz for your goal. If using leaf hops, submerge them with a weighted bag. Otherwise, just toss in the pellet dryhops loose. Rack into your bottlling bucket with a mesh bag wrapped around your auto siphon and you're good to go.

I'm sure a few of us would be interested in the rest of your recipe if you are willing to post it. Cheers!

Thanks man! I'm pretty excited about it... I had a nice whirlpool going and am more than pleased with the initial color/clarity. The wort tasted amazing and it's still spitting out some great Esther...

So what are your thoughts on having a dry hop schedule, rather than just adding everything at 7 days?

Based on your advice... I'm thinking:

2oz Simcoe
2oz Cascade
1oz Citra

I'd go maybe 3 oz. Simcoe, 1.25 oz. Cascade, 0.75 oz. Citra.

Let it ferment/condition for 17-24 days. Then dryhop for an additional 7-10 days.

Let us know how the final beer tastes and update us with your final recipe.

I have a conical fermenter. It's been in primary for 9 days and its still doing its thing. I'll start checking gravity in a couple days then dump the yeast once I have a consistent FG over a couple days. Then I'll probably let it rest for a couple days more, then start to dry hop. I might be picking up an upright freezer on Mon, and if I do, I'm going to dry hop in there at like 65 degrees...

Will update once done...

I typically don't even bother checking the FG until I, either rack to secondary (if doing) or, finally bottle/keg. I've never really had a cause to worrry about a stalled FG in my IPA type ales since I've found in the past they always hit target FG in 10 days max anyway. But I like to condition them a little bit further. I'm more worried about oxygenating (by continually checking the gravity) than having an FG that may not be on target... which never happens anyway in hundreds of batches. I did oxygenate once recently though!! So be careful. Check your lines and use CO2 if you can.

How else do you know that fermentation is done when using a SS Conical? Can oxygenation happen when grabbing sample from racking arm? I thought there would be enough Co2 released above beer that would blanket the oxygen? All I know is that I want to avoid all this, so your thoughts are more than appreciated! Thanks!!!

One thing I have seen failed to be mentioned in this chain is the hop schedule itself. I just finished brewing an APA inspired by both Mountain Living' by Crazy Mountain of Edwards Colorado and Hopadillo IPA from Karbach in Houston.

I did a standard DME Simcoe ale but adjusted the hop schedule as:

60 Minutes - 1.5 oz. Simcoe (Get the pine on)
15 Minutes - .5 oz Simcoe (remember me and the pine?) + .5 oz Cascade
5 Minutes before bornout - .5 oz Cascade
1 minute - .5 Cascade and 1 oz Citra

I read several hundred recipes before deciding this was best for me. IMO Citra
should only ever be used for aroma added right at the end of the boil.

Back