Cooler Mash-tun Size Selection, 12 Gallon Batch Max.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been reading the all grain section for a while now and plan on making the switch. I am wanting to buy a cooler but am trying to get one that can accommodate brew sizes ranging from 5 gallons to 12 gallons.

Here are my options:

-70 quart, 17.5 gallon cooler from walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4807332)

or

-52 quart, 13 gallon cooler from Kmart (http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000001401311P)

If I bought the 13 gallon cooler, which size brew would I be able to make? Say for example, could the 13 gallon cooler brew 'basic' (pales, wheats, browns) beers in 12 gallon batches?

If I purchase the 17.5 gallon cooler and brew 5 gallon batches in it, will I have excessive heat losses and thus be much better with the 13 gallon cooler despite the loss of ability to brew basic 12 gallon batches?

I hope I explained clear enough, thanks for the help.

I have the first one but in the 80qt size and it works great for both 12 and 5 gal batches. The thing is so insolated that there is no heat loss in a 60 minute mash. If you want to do 12 gal batches and want to do big beers (both 5 and 12) go with the larger one. It will give you the room needed for the grain + mash-in + mash-out should you want to do it that way.

Mine is 48 qt and I just did 10 gal of 1.054. So I would say that as long as all of your 13-gallon batches are less than 1.050, you might be fine with the smaller one.

I think FSR is right, go with the bigger one if you're planning on making 13's a regular quantity to brew.

I have the 70 qt with a CPVC manifold and it works great. It will hold the mash temp for the 60 minutes as well. Once I have dumped the strike water in and let it sit to heat it up, I typically have a 13-14 degree loss when I dough in. Always consistent.

I have a 5 and a 10 gallon cooler, and if I started over, I'd buy 2 10's, at a minimum, and probably go even larger. The 10 is plenty good for the big batches I do, but the 5 can really only handle no more than 12# grain, so you really can't brew a big batch in that one. Buy more than what you think you will need, then you are safe for future expansion.

(...) if I started over, I'd buy 2 10's, at a minimum, and probably go even larger.(...) Buy more than what you think you will need, then you are safe for future expansion.

Exactly. If anyone is planning to go to 10gal or higher batches eventually, the round coolers just don't cut it! My 48qt even seems small, I want to go to at least an 80qt by the end of summer.

I can't even go over 1.090 in my current 48qt.

I have the 70 Quart Coleman listed first and I just brewed my first AG with it on the 4th. ~9 lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch and no worries. I can't wait to put a 10 gallon batch of big beer through it.

Back