Questions about my first "big" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scohop

Reaction score
I just tried my first all-grain "big" beer. I ended up with 6.5 gallons of 1.088 wort, which I was pretty happy with. This was a bit low, but I ended up with too much wort too, so it's okay (I had to sparge alot and then boil down).

My fermentation started okay but I noticed a very subtle sulfur smell in the bubbler. I've never noticed it before. Is that normal for a bigger beer or should I be worried?

I'm using WLP530 (Abbey Ale 4). I've read some people pitch a second yeast before bottling. Is that recommended. What would be a good choice, if so? (this is a Belgian dark strong ale).

thanks!
Scott

I have never used a liquid yeast as of yet, but a big beer if your yeast is not good and ready might be overwhelmed. No real advise here, but stick it out and check the GRAV in a few and see were you fall. I wouldn't recomend messing with beano to jump start it or bring it sown, you'll wati forever to get where you want. RDWHAHB yeah that is really a good idea. I am sure you are fine, My last brew smelled of hotdog water, but turned out OK.
Prost and BREw on

I wouldn't worry about the smell, it's common with some yeast strains. I've got my first big beer in secondary right now, the OG was 1.090. I'm going to pitch some dry yeast when I bottle, but I used Wyeast 1056. The WLP530 should be good at high gravities, but if you condition for a while in secondary, the yeast might be a bit sluggish, I figure it can't hurt to add some neutral yeast that won't give much in the way of off flavors when you bottle.

Latest posts

Back