Process simplification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheBasement

Reaction score
I have now been brewing for almost 3 years, and this hobby has sucked a lot of cash out of my pocket. I think that at this point I am probably paying 6 bucks a beer when I consider all that I have put into it. I can't get that money back, but regardless, I have started to take a look at what I do to brew a batch of beer and I have realized that much of what I do is probably not of benefit.

When I started out I was uneducated. I did not know about aeration. I just dropped the yeast in the wort, and magically I made beer. Now I use this paddle hooked up to my drill and I blast the wort with air. Do I think my beer is better for the extra air? Nope. I have spent money on glass carboys that cracked. I went to simple plastic buckets that are way less expensive and seem to make beer just as good as the glass carboy.

I look on the websites and see all this gear that I can buy. Will it make my beer any better? I am starting to think the answer is, no. I think that the process of brewing beer is a very simple one that requires very little gear, and inexpensive gear at that. I think the "need" for all the expensive stuff is driven not by the people brewing, but rather by the marketing machine for the gear companies.

After looking at all my gear, I have come to the realization that I can likely make a fine beer with the very basics of what I have. Crush grain with the mill. Slap it into a cooler with hot water. Let it sit there for an hour then drain it into a pot. Boil i for an hour on a cheap, first generation Darkstar burner. After the boil plunge the whole pot of wort into a 40 gallon trash can filled with water and blocks of ice. No fancy chiller required. Throw the cooled wort into a plastic fermenter, add some yeast (dry or liquid, right from the vial) and then 3 weeks later I am done. Yes, liquid yeast right from the vial. no starter needed. I have done that and seemed to notice no difference from when I made starters. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that the marketing departments make our hobby decisions for us more often than science does.

Making beer is kind of like starting a forest fire. Give it some simple conditions and the rest will just happen. A dry spell in California requires nothing more than a cigarette butt carelessly tossed from a passing car, and suddenly the whole state is burning.

I think I am going to go on a quest to see just how minimalistic my brewing process can become.

Not to rain on your parade, but I dont think that home brewing is necessarily "marketed" by a marketing machine. Sure, I got into home brewing thinking I would save money, but in reality the whole point was getting to exercise my creative side and try new things and ultimately make my own beer. Am I saving money? Probably not.

I too have gone from glass to plastic and now to SS fermenters. I have gone from buying kits to buying bulk grain and milling it at home. Ive built a fairly expensive brew stand. I went from stove top to cheap Bayou jet burner and now a Blichmann burner. Why? All in search of making the best beer possible.

And each one of my upgrades I can validate with a reason why I did that. I went from glass to plastic fermenters for the safety aspect and then to SS so I can do CO2 transfers. And it has actually improved my beer. I went from the Bayou burner to blichmann because now I can actually hear myself think when I brew and Im saving a TON of propane.

"Yes, liquid yeast right from the vial. no starter needed. I have done that and seemed to notice no difference from when I made starters. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that the marketing departments make our hobby decisions for us more often than science does."

Actually there is a ton of science behind the benefits to starters, so definitely not marketing there.

I guess in the end, I applaud you for trying to try the minimalist route, but I cant speak for the rest of the HB community, but I cant say that marketing really plays a huge role for me at least.

Amen..... I make a mighty awesome beer with nothing but the basics....simple works.

One pot
chair
simple controller
My "system" paid for itself ten times over...My beers average FOURTY CENTS each for ingredients (1.060 beer)...Is that even possible? I just did the math for the first time in a long time....Cheers to me LOL :mug:
I'm drinking a lager now that cost me 29 cents each....sweetness

20160605_132420_resized.jpg

14322244_10206945965984411_5611059054896953366_n.jpg

I've gone even simpler. I got to the point where I had pumps, stainless mash tun, stainless fermenter, etc. Now, I brew 10 gallons batches in nothing but my 25 gallon kettle, with a bag then it goes straight into my fermenter. I no chill, so that eliminates a lot of stuff to wash.

My brew weekends look like this - Friday, crush grains, set up water with a bucket warmer on a timer in the kettle.

Saturday morning - raise the temp in the kettle to mash temps. Put in bag and pour in crushed grains while stirring, put top on kettle with a moving blanket and let sit for an hour. Slowly pull bag out (on pulley attached to garage ceiling) while raising temp of wort to boiling. Let boil for an hour, then flame out. Sanitize lid for kettle and put on. Roll kettle to the back of garage for overnight cooling.

Sunday - transfer to fermenter and pitch yeast. Clean Kettle.

My longest day is Saturday and that is usually less than a half day. Very simple and since I've gone to this method, I've found that my beer has improved over the three vessel system because I am concentrating more on brewing than cleaning and equipment set up and take down. There is a lot to be said for keeping things simple and repeatable.

I've got three kids, so I'm on the cheap. Big kettle, cooler mash tun, and a bunch of hand me down other bits. I don't understand the need for pumps, tiers, etc. "Electric brewing" to me is taking all of the fun out of the experience. All I pay for now is ingredients.

I have now been brewing for almost 3 years, and this hobby has sucked a lot of cash out of my pocket. I think that at this point I am probably paying 6 bucks a beer when I consider all that I have put into it. I can't get that money back, but regardless, I have started to take a look at what I do to brew a batch of beer and I have realized that much of what I do is probably not of benefit.

When I started out I was uneducated. I did not know about aeration. I just dropped the yeast in the wort, and magically I made beer. Now I use this paddle hooked up to my drill and I blast the wort with air. Do I think my beer is better for the extra air? Nope. I have spent money on glass carboys that cracked. I went to simple plastic buckets that are way less expensive and seem to make beer just as good as the glass carboy.

I look on the websites and see all this gear that I can buy. Will it make my beer any better? I am starting to think the answer is, no. I think that the process of brewing beer is a very simple one that requires very little gear, and inexpensive gear at that. I think the "need" for all the expensive stuff is driven not by the people brewing, but rather by the marketing machine for the gear companies.

After looking at all my gear, I have come to the realization that I can likely make a fine beer with the very basics of what I have. Crush grain with the mill. Slap it into a cooler with hot water. Let it sit there for an hour then drain it into a pot. Boil i for an hour on a cheap, first generation Darkstar burner. After the boil plunge the whole pot of wort into a 40 gallon trash can filled with water and blocks of ice. No fancy chiller required. Throw the cooled wort into a plastic fermenter, add some yeast (dry or liquid, right from the vial) and then 3 weeks later I am done. Yes, liquid yeast right from the vial. no starter needed. I have done that and seemed to notice no difference from when I made starters. Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that the marketing departments make our hobby decisions for us more often than science does.

Making beer is kind of like starting a forest fire. Give it some simple conditions and the rest will just happen. A dry spell in California requires nothing more than a cigarette butt carelessly tossed from a passing car, and suddenly the whole state is burning.

I think I am going to go on a quest to see just how minimalistic my brewing process can become.

:mug:

I started brewing with pretty much the same approach (1-gallon, but still the same idea), and haven't looked back. The most sophisticated "gadgets" that I have are a digital scale for measuring grain/hops, a mini-auto-siphon and a spring-tipped bottling wand.

I think you will find that your beer is very good - maybe even a little better, in some ways - when you step out of the laboratory and into the monastery.

I think brewing economically is something that is learned over time. When I started out a couple of years ago, I needed this, that, and many other things. Now that I'm brewing larger batches, I need a few more things, but over time I've learned what actually makes things easier/convenient/better, and what are just cool things I see in a catalogue.

Homebrewing that actually saves money is rare; doable but rare. Most of us do this to make excellent beer and be creative. The most experienced brewers can make great beer that does cost less than what we can get in a store (craft brews included). Time and equipment are the cost. If one can get equipment reasonably (or even McGuyver up some stuff on his own), then he can start saving money.

"Electric brewing" to me is taking all of the fun out of the experience.
Until you do it...No propane,no noise, cheaper and indoor brewing in the winter is awesome. I doubt you'd find many/any brewers that went back to propane after going electric

Homebrewing that actually saves money is rare; doable but rare. Most of us do this to make excellent beer and be creative. The most experienced brewers can make great beer that does cost less than what we can get in a store (craft brews included). Time and equipment are the cost. If one can get equipment reasonably (or even McGuyver up some stuff on his own), then he can start saving money.
This isn't true. Pretty much anyone going BIAB is saving money from day one. Even if you spent $1000 on EVERYTHING from scratch including carboys,brushes ETC in a year or 2 you'll get your money back AND be drinking beers for 40 cents each. Half the price of BL by the 30 pack and you'll have equipment to sell closing the gap on the payback time...Done right Homebrew saves TONS of money
Of course if you only drink 3 beers a week It'll take forever to get your money back...but what fun would that be

I've come to the conclusion that brewing is 10% nature and 90% superstition. Do this, don't do that, buy this here gidget, it all makes good beer in the end. I'm glad I was too broke to afford some of this stuff before I came to this conclusion otherwise I might have gone completely broke on some of this stuff.

I'm in NC. Outdoor brewing in the winter is awesome. How does brewing make noise?

My propane burner is pretty friggin loud! You don't really think about it if the weather is nice enough to be out in the yard but when I'm stuck inside the garage with it it is quite annoying. A water heater element on the kettle is perfectly silent.

That said, standard brew pumps are the loudest thing in my brewery though... I'm switching over to cheap DC pumps that barely hum. :mug:

(My want for noise reduction might have something to do with the sleeping kid in the next room.)

I suppose you're right. The last math I did on it was using kits as a baseline. Honestly, I don't care about the money so much as making good beer. If I can save and make good beer, then I'm all for it! :)

Brewing beer is alot like fly tying. Both can save you money, but not likely.

If you enjoy the process, it will become a hobby with all the considerations and stuff that you just really really want.

Latest posts

Back