pliny the elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
This is a beer... much like 120 minute that I have been waiting to sample. Found a place down the street that has it on tap (servese for those of us in Portland) ... 5.50 a pint.. and I'm just letting everyone know who has never tried this... you need this flowing down your gullet as soon as you can! That is all... gonna go back and enjoy my pliny now. Cheers!

And now my pint is gone... that was the smoothest ipa I have ever drank! Wow

This is a beer... much like 120 minute that I have been waiting to sample. Found a place down the street that has it on tap (servese for those of us in Portland) ... 5.50 a pint.. and I'm just letting everyone know who has never tried this... you need this flowing down your gullet as soon as you can! That is all... gonna go back and enjoy my pliny now. Cheers!
It's a lot cheaper by the pint bottle. I love when my LHBS has the "Pliny is In!" sign up. As long as the Pliny keeps flowing, the 120 can stay limited. Hell, I'll take the Blind Pig first too.

For the hoppiness. Last thing I read has almost a pound of hops per 5 gallon batch. Farm house supplies has the pliny pack of hops and its 12oz. So it is a very high hopped beer. But it isn't a very overly hopped beer as it comes across my taste buds. Next time I hear my shop has pliny in which my beer guy said is once a month I will buy a case for sure!

It's just something with hops that I can't describe. You get the nw hops. Very floral and grapefruit then you go right into pine and then some slight resin before it clears and smooths out the palette. It's so crazy of a taste I can't describe of or put a finger on.it

92 ibus & 8%. The thing with that beer is the crazy floral aromatics. I have never had a beer quite like it. The blind Pig is like its younger brother At 72 ibus & 6%.
I was just in SR yesterday and IMO the draft version beats the bottled version any day.

Pliny's pretty good, but I'm not enamored with the stemmy/woody flavor that creeps in. A super-fresh Hop Stoopid, Ruination or Hopsickle is preferable to me. I may be jaded, however, since I'm in walking distance of RRBC.

+1, draft Pliny is much better than bottled, which would probably explain a lot of unimpressed reactions.

Pliny's pretty good, but I'm not enamored with the stemmy/woody flavor that creeps in. A super-fresh Hop Stoopid, Ruination or Hopsickle is preferable to me. I may be jaded, however, since I'm in walking distance of RRBC.

+1, draft Pliny is much better than bottled, which would probably explain a lot of unimpressed reactions.

Haven't tried Pliny yet. Of those other three, I really didn't care for Hopsickle...I liked Stoopid and really like Ruination. I'm shying away from the higher ABV imperial IPAs. The hopsickle had too much body for me and too much alcohol warmth. Same with Maharaja.

It's really personal preference, but I like slightly less malty IPAs, under 8% ABV, little unbalanced toward hops, etc. Favorites are probably Sculpin and Ruination.

Agreed here. Pliny is awesome and it's even worth ordering which I'm forced to do, but hop stoopid is no slouch, and given that's widely available and 4.50 a bomber, it edges out just about everything else.

That said, I have two Pliny packs and plan on brewing one of them up quite soon.

I hope it's better than 120...

I'll be incredibly disappointed if it's anything similar, especially since I've been waiting a couple years to try Pliny. 120 is severely over-rated.

I'll trade some one some Pliny for some hellhound or squall...........please!

I can't get RR in Delaware and it sucks major A$$

Back