Did HB make you a "Beer Snob"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a beer snob becuase of home brew

• Yes

• No, I just let bygones be bygones

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
So lately I have been finding myself turning into a classic "snob" I went into town to see my parents for fathers day and had an absolute fit when my dad tried to pour a HB into a frozen glass. Granted im only 22 but Homebrew has made me appreciated beer more than ever and I can not help my self and keep my mouth shut. Any one else find them self in this position around others.

I voted yes, but I was already trending towards snobbiness before I started brewing my own beer. Homebrewing just crystallized and clarified what was already happening. I try to keep it in check, but it's difficult.

Homebrewing has made me far, FAR more appreciative of good beer, and made me much more respectful of beer generally.

But, this past weekend was mostly about Mich Light in cans. Not my choice, but that's what was at parties we went to (both of which I should have dragged a keg along to). At the second party, the host apologized for only having "crappy beer" - but as I told him - it doesn't matter, we're hanging out and having fun.

Once you start getting to be a real snob - once you start taking the EAC stuff seriously instead of recognizing it as the joke that it is - then, well, I'll agree that it's time to move on.

Homebrewing was the next logical step after getting into the craft/import/non-BMC beer category for me. However since I still drink BMC swill on occasion and don't blink twice at any free beer offered to me, I can not lay claim to the title of beer snob.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Hmm.. I voted yes, as it helped, then I was going to say only a little bit, but on further reflection it certainly did lead to a more discerning taste on my part. Now that I think about it, there really wasn't much choice in the Beer Store when I first began drinking. There was Molson, Labatt's, and more Molson and Labatt's. When I began homebrewing, I brewed styles I hadn't actually ever been able to get before, so it certainly did contribute!:drunk:

Bird hit the nail on the head. Appreciating good beer and wine, for me, came long before homebrewing. There's a difference between a connoisseur and a snob; a snob looks down his nose at others, a snob thinks he's better because of his appreciation and taste, a snob maintains serious disdain for "layman". I don't consider myself any of those things. I'll pound high life or coors light any day, and sincerely thank the person who provided it.

Now, um, grocery-store wine, I won't bother with. I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but...I can drink BMC no problem, but bad wine is just...really, really bad. It's not so much of a snob thing as it is a case of me not being able to drink the stuff and enjoy it in any capacity.

But, regardless, if people want to drink it, I don't begrudge them or think anything less of them for it. As Bird says, it's when you start to take the "EAC" meme seriously that it's time for a bit of self-reflection.

Working at a fine wine/beer store where we really only carry the stuff that we personally like (with the exception of a few things like Veuve Clicquot, simply because the public demands it), my outlook is something like this: there is a ton of delicious, transcendent wine and beer out there. I don't look down on people who haven't experienced it or choose not to, but I make a concerted, respectful effort to help them experience it. Case in point: last week, a girl came in with her boyfriend, and she was the stereotypical white zin drinker. She felt pretty embarrassed coming into our shop and asking for white zin, but I assured her that there's nothing embarrassing about drinking what you like. In response, she was very receptive and open, so I let her taste an awesome Alsatian Pinot Gris, which has a touch of richness and residual sugar to it. She loved it, and ended up taking a bottle home. But if I were to just dismiss her and point to the white zin in the corner, I'd have accomplished nothing.

Snobbishness is merely self-indulgence at others' expense, and I see nothing good about it.

I"m definitely more "into" beer now. I've always loved beer- but now I look for IPAs and more complex beers and enjoy them more. I actually put away a case of Busch Light one night 7 years ago, but I doubt I could do it now. Not just the quantity (egads!) but I'd rather have a couple of really good beers than a whole case of swill. Now, I drink a beer every night but rarely more than 2 or 3, even on a weekend.

No snobbery here...people should drink what they like. As others have said, if I can nudge people into the world of better beer, so much the better. If not...oh well. I do have a newfound respect for the production of BMC, though...how they can be so consistent on such a massive scale with such a delicately (or un-) flavored beer is somewhat remarkable.

One of my best friends owned an A-B distributorship, so I've had more than my fair share of Bud products. He still has Bud Light on tap in his basement, and I still drink it (if I can't find something better in the back of the fridge...usually something I left behind ;) ).

I dunno, kind of like Torch, Homebrewing just increased my sensitivity and understanding of beer. I can't bring myself to drink crap in any form (wine, beer, or anything), that is just me. I'd rather have water than something that doesn't taste good. I don't have disdain for anyone who chooses to drink such but for myself it is all about pursuing the optimum experience when I have something to drink. Otherwise, why do it?

That all being said, doing something like drinking homebrew from the bottle would make me cringe. The way I feel is you can do it, it's your perogative but for me that is like trying to drive a Ferrari in a parking lot. So I dunno, I guess crossing the line would be if I were to scold someone for doing such....personally I wouldn't do it, and I feel if I give peeps the liberty to be a certain way then reciprocating the idea is a matter of course.

I guess my philosophy is such that I like to enjoy things in their simplicity. The better the base ingredients the better the final results and that carries into everything I do really. :fro:

I also should add, it really isn't about me but a respect for the experience being given to me that makes me adamant about certain aspects of food and drink.

I'm a complete beer snob, but it's not because of the home brew. The first case I bought on my 21st birthday many moons ago was a Neuweiler's stout/porter/black & tan (I forget what exact kind, but you couldn't see through it).

I was ok with Yuengling until a couple years ago when I went through two straight cases of Weyerbacher's big brews. That pretty much killed my ability to cope with low-taste beer.

well Im a firm believer that theres a style of beer for every occasion. Whether or not I put a Miller Lite into a pilsner glass, or fill up my favorite mug with a IIPA.

And living in AZ, when its 105+ outside, sometimes all you want is a very light beer.

BassBurner said:
The first case I bought on my 21st birthday many moons ago was a Neuweiler's stout/porter/black & tan (I forget what exact kind, but you couldn't see through it).

Likewise..they opened their doors in '91 right around the same time I turned 21 and it was my first case of beer purchased as a legally aged consumer.:ban:

While I prefer good beer whether it's craft beer or homebrew, I still enjoy light watery BMC at times. Last weekend I was outside at a daytime party and the Bud bottles were going down very smoothly... I can't imagine drinking a dark beer while outside in the sun in the summertime. I also can't imagine drinking a Bud or PBR in the middle of the winter...

And, anytime I notice myself becoming too much of a snob about beer I have a can of swill and remember if I didn't start out drinking the crappy stuff I never would have thought to try the good stuff... Don't forget what got ya to where ya are...

Not so much a "snob" as a (probably just as bad) "Beer Know-It-All".

I just can't help extolling the virtues and explaining the differences between crafted ales VS BMC mass produced beer. I don't care what people drink in my house, but I'm not going to spend my money on BMC for them.

Lately, friends who are going out for the evening prefer to stop by the house for a cold draw before we go out to dinner...rather than going out, standing in the bar and ordering a long-neck for $3.00.

Ryanh1801 said:
...absolute fit when my dad tried to pour a HB into a frozen glass.

wait..you arent supposed to?...

i must be a n00b then :D

(wont make that mistake again :p)

I'm more into beer because of brewing it, that's for sure. I'd never complain about being offered a "lesser" beer in someone’s home; in fact, I'd drink it happily. I do, however, get annoyed when restaurants don't have anything but the bare minimum. So, for that reason, I clicked yes.

DeathBrewer said:
yes, even though i've always enjoyed good beer, brewing definitely helped.

i don't care what you drink, but i won't drink crap beer.

I'm with you. Anything with feces in it, fermented or not, is not something I will ingest.

I'm a S.N.O.B., but not a total snob. I can be a bit of a style-nazi with commercial beers, because I really HATE getting hoppy ales when the style isn't a hoppy one! If I want a Hazed & Infused or a Racer X, I'll order one.

Since I've been drinking craft ales for much longer than I've been homebrewing, I can't blame the HB.

david_42 said:
I really HATE getting hoppy ales when the style isn't a hoppy one!
I'm with you there. EVERYTHING here in cali seems to be overhopped. what's with the hoppy hefes??? i don't really like too much hops in general, so someone should tell these craft breweries that adding more hops doesn't make their beer better!

S.N.O.B. Supporter of Native Oregon Beer
T.O.D.O. Think Oregon Drink Oregon

I do tell them and push the pint back. Not that they pay much attention, probably because the hop heads are louder. I just stop buying and go elsewhere. Fortunately, Mark at GVB brews to style. Typically, three of his ten taps will be hoppy ales: IPA, APA, and a seasonal.

I am not a beer snob. Homebrewing has taught me just enough about beer to be dangerous. I can bore my friends to death with stuff about whether it's the yeast or the hops that give a certain beer it's flavor, and if I'm out to eat or something I certainly would like something other than BMC. But I do buy BMC, since it has it's purposes, too, and if a friend offers me a beer I'm not going to snivel about what kind it is. I'll happily accept it and drink it.

Given a choice, I will always take a craft brew or HB over BMC, but I have to say again that FREE BEER is my favorite regardless of brand, style, and what-have-ya.

Yes... it has. I have always appreciated good beer, and I know what I like. It's interesting that since I've been homebrewing (less than a year), even my older brother (who likes beer, but is not a snob) has been reporting beer finds to me and telling me how much he likes what he's discovered. I've yet to hook up with him to do a brewing session with him here... which would be a hoot.

I'm also a coffee snob, but I don't roast my own. I just love good coffee.

Tony

Back