Yeast Substitution Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question...i am brewing a holiday beer ( basically an amber beer w. spices) and i had to substitute the specified yeast (Wyeast 1028-London ale) with White Labs wlp051- cali ale V.

Didn't have any other choice....brew shop was closed. What do you all think the impact will be of this substitute yeast? Or they pretty decent substitute??

The London Ale is one of the more highly-attenuating of the "British" ale yeasts, so that should be pretty comparable to the Cali. The Cali V isn't quite as clean and dry as the 001, so I don't think you'll be too far off. You may lose a few of those British-ale yeast esters, but for a holiday ale that's already got some spicing going on, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a little cleaner yeast profile. I don't think it'll end up being that noticeable, if at all (depending in part on how aggressive the spicing is).

I think you will be fine as the bird said. 1028 is pretty dusty though so you might want to do something to help clear it out above and beyond cold crashing if you want it to be ready before Christmas...gelatin would be good.

Back