Marzen without temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctopusInk

Reaction score
I need to brew a Marzen for local competition however I don't have a lager fridge. I wanted to try and use SF Lager Yeast and do the "fermentor in a tub of water with a shirt over it" method. Any advice?

Yep. You can make a good beer, but it's very probable that without proper temp control, its not going to be 'clean' like a marzen/oktoberfest should be. It will probably be a little more like a steam beer (lager yeast done at ale fermentation temps)

I have, in fact, done what you wish to do, with tasty results! I used 2112 California Lager and fermented early this Spring without temp control. I ferment in a closet that, in the cooler months, stays in the mid 50s. The fermentation temp for my "Vienna Steamer" did not rise above 59 degrees.

The results are kegged and delicious. I'm saving the batch for the appropriate Oktoberfest time, but I pulled a small sample last week and was pleased with the clean, malt-forward, results. In my case, I was fortunate to have ambient temperatures that were on the low end of the temp range for the yeast, and these low temps are what helped me attain that cleanliness that a lager is supposed to have. Plus, it's been "lagering" in my kegerator for a couple of months now... So, it might take you a little bit more effort with a water bath and a load of ice, but, in my experience, it IS possible to get good results and produce a very passable Vienna/Marzen.

Not to be funny here, but I would get an ugly fridge/freezer for $50 off craigslist (NC) like now. Throw a $50 controller on it and it will very likely change your brewing life.

+1, if you have space and $100, the dream can be yours. Check out my fermentation chamber link in my sig for parts and how I did mine. Fridges can be had for free any day of the week.

I agree that if you've got the space, go for a fridge! However, if you don't have the extra space, there's nothing wrong with faking it with a tub o' ice water...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will get a fridge once I get a larger place. As it stands my kegorator hikes up my power bill enough. My LHBS just informed me they have some Cry Havok, so in addition to brewing a beer I have never done before I am going to try a Yeast I have never used. Gravy!

Back