Flavoring Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've experimented with sweetening in the bottle using Equal artificial sweetener. I've compared (500ml) bottles with 0, 2, 4, and 6 Equal tablets, and find the 6 incredibly sweet, like a comercial cider. There is obviously a little bit of an aftertaste due to it being an artificial sweetener. It's strange how much the sweeteness affects the perception of taste.... The 0 compared to the 6 tastes completely different, not just sweeter, but far more "appley".

I've experimented with sweetening in the bottle using Equal artificial sweetener. I've compared (500ml) bottles with 0, 2, 4, and 6 Equal tablets, and find the 6 incredibly sweet, like a comercial cider. There is obviously a little bit of an aftertaste due to it being an artificial sweetener. It's strange how much the sweeteness affects the perception of taste.... The 0 compared to the 6 tastes completely different, not just sweeter, but far more "appley".
Have you ever tried erythritol as a nonfermentable sweetener? It was recommended by a few other brewers and since I tried it it's all I use now. Tastes like sugar in reasonably low concentrations we use to make cider off dry. I see it commonly at the store in the US, not sure if you have it there.

Latest posts

Back