Last Chance IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

Reaction score
It is hard to find recipes that people have made and then comment on. Frequently, when I'm researching a beer style, I find that people put their recipes online, but then they never come back and say how they taste. Well, I'm going that in reverse. Here is the recipe for an IPA I made on Sept. 1. It was my last chance to brew before starting grad school, in earnest.

[A quick aside: brewing has always just been a way to make great beer, and to relax. Now it has become an essential part of my routine to relax when I can. Some people exercise to take their mind off their work. I brew.]

I decided to call this one Last Chance IPA. It is my best IPA to date. It is full bodied, and has rich hop qualities; fruity, earthy, and a little spicy. It is a beautiful amber, with a head that doesn't die.

Enjoy!

lastchance.jpg

Last Chance IPA
14-B American IPA
Author: Chase Bolt
Date: 09/1/08

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 41.07%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 240.9 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.072 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 12.26 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.12% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 66.7 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
.25 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
.25 lb Crystal Malt 80°L
.25 lb Biscuit Malt (Mout Roost 50)
3.0 lb Dry Extra Light
5 lb Dry Light
1 oz Summit (16.7%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
.5 oz Cascade (6.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
.5 oz Cascade (6.3%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
.5 oz Amarillo (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.2%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

This looks nice! Definitely something I might brew -- I like the malty with the hoppy.

And I totally agree on recipe feedback, many recipes up without any info on how it turned out. That's why I've found the Jamil & Palmer recipe book so useful -- great starting point for what is good (and then you can add more hops).

And I totally agree on recipe feedback, many recipes up without any info on how it turned out. That's why I've found the Jamil & Palmer recipe book so useful -- great starting point for what is good (and then you can add more hops).

If you are talking about Brewing Classic Styles, then I completely agree. It is a fabulous book that I would recommend to anyone.

I like Maris Otter in my hoppy brews. 50/50 is good for an APA, 100% M.O. even works for an IPA. It gives the same effect as the quarter pound of biscuit in this recipe. I understand that St Arnold's Elissa IPA uses all Maris Otter as the base malt...

Using summit for 45 minutes as the bittering is awesome. I would even move it up to 30 minutes for more of the tangerine flavor. Late hop IPAs have a smooth hop bitterness you just can't get any other way.... Looks like a winner to me!

Back