Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
I am about to bottle, I cold crashed and took the carboy out of the cooler @ 9:00am.....My question is, do I have to wait until the beer gets to room temp or am I ok to go ahead and bottle cold?

No need to warm it up to bottle, but you will need to warm it to bottle condition & carbonate.

Actually, if you are bottling a beer while cooler than about 70 degrees, then you technically need to adjust the amount of sugar you use. The colder the beer is the higher the amount of co2 is already in solution. Therefore the less sugar you would need.

Most brewing software such as beersmith have calculators with their software, but Tastybrew has one as well.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

If not you will over prime your beer.

But the 2-2.5 volumes of co2 that they give you the 4.5-5 ounces of priming sugar for, is roughly calculated for "room temp" beer at bottling time, somewhere between 65 and 70 degrees.

So honestly it is just easier to wait til the beer warms up then to have to re-measure and calculate for the cooler temp. Especially if you don't have a scale.

So honestly it is just easier to wait til the beer warms up then to have to re-measure and calculate for the cooler temp. Especially if you don't have a scale.

Revvy's right. Beers that I've bottled cold (i..e, lagers), with the standard 3/4 cup priming sugar, came out overcarbed. Not bombs.

I always bring the carboy to room temp now before bottling.

Latest posts

Back