will this work as a metal enclosure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
I got this free from work its about 18"x12" but its only about 2.5" deep. Its a box that holds misc screws and such. I figure i may have to mount things a little differently maybe. I have no idea of the sizes of some of the components that go into a box for an eherms system.

even if its not perfect, it sure beats the heck out of spending $100 on a freaking metal box

03022012005.jpg

You'll find that almost anything you mount in the door will be either too deep or will too close for comfort. You definitely need more depth. Most PIDs are 88MM deep, or almost 3.5". Some switches and buttons are deep as well.

You can use that box, but you'll have to be creative. You could get some plastic electrical junction boxes and mount them to the back side to add depth for the PIDs, switches, receptacles and such. Bolt that box to your brew stand so that it isn't resting on the junction boxes.

If this sounds like too much work then you'll need a bigger box.

You can use that box, but you'll have to be creative. You could get some plastic electrical junction boxes and mount them to the back side to add depth for the PIDs, switches, receptacles and such. Bolt that box to your brew stand so that it isn't resting on the junction boxes.

If this sounds like too much work then you'll need a bigger box.

That's really not going to work either, because you still have to access the back of all the components for wiring. You need a clear path (and space) for all of the wiring.

Much of the wire is heavy-enough gauge wire that it doesn't bend and conform that easily.

Suggestions like this and general herd-mind thinking are why I read this board less and less.

That's really not going to work either, because you still have to access the back of all the components for wiring. You need a clear path (and space) for all of the wiring.

Much of the wire is heavy-enough gauge wire that it doesn't bend and conform that easily.

If the OP is lucky, PIDs and switches can be mounted on one of the sides, rather than the top. I don't have a PID handy to measure at the moment, but it's another idea to try...

Hard-headed? Gee thanks!

No, I'm just realistic. Having just completed a Kal clone I realize the challenges of wiring, even in a much larger panel.

That being said, adding junction boxes defeats the purpose as you will just, in effect, be creating a larger box, which is what the OP really needs to do.

That being said, ANYTHING, is possible. I was just pointing out some of the challenges with your proposed solution.

P.S. If you don't value the opinions and input of others, then perhaps it's a good thing you are spending less time here.

It cost me $40 for a new fibergass control panel box. It was well worth it, you don't need to have a metal one.

Yep, I got a brand new fiberglass box on ebay for like $36 shipped. It's perfect.

what were the dimensions and do you have a link to one like it?

i guess with a fiberglass box you wont have to ground to it either which is nice

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ that's basically the same enclosure I'm using. I got it from a local automation control building company. If you want one I'm sure I can get another for $40 and ship it. It's more than big enough for my setup.

They also have larger ones, tell me what size you are looking for and I'll see if they have it. They also have some with holes already cut that they messed up on that they will sell even cheaper. If you cover the front with a new peice of sheet metal you can have a fresh start at a discounted price. Let me know if you need one.

Craigslist... look for some fuse boxes/panels on there.

Or try going the metal tool box route!

Latest posts

Back