mash temp got too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
OK so last weekend I did something dumb. I had a 30 lb of grain in my tun to make a 10 gallon batch of stout, OG turned out to be 1.084. My target temp was to be 156 f. after mashing in my temp was a little low 153 f. so I began to recirculate with a pump using a soft flame. Well I got distracted and before I know it after about 15 minutes the temp of the mash had reached 163. I turned off the flame and continued to recirc intill the temp was back down to 155-156 range. I had some Amalyse enzyme on hand so I added 2 table spoons to the mash thinking maybe this would reintroduce enzymes back to the mash that would have been denatured (sp?). Then I figured as an addded measure I added another pound of 2 row thinking this would supply additional enzymes too. I then let it sit an additional 45 minutes at the lower 150 degree f range. Does this sound like it makes sense?

I'll post back once its done fermenting to reveal my findings

Just wanted to say that I find it amazing how many posts I read where someone started brewing and got distracted.

There had better be blow jobs involved is all I have to say.

greggor said:
OK so last weekend I did something dumb. I had a 30 lb of grain in my tun to make a 10 gallon batch of stout, OG turned out to be 1.084. My target temp was to be 156 f. after mashing in my temp was a little low 153 f. so I began to recirculate with a pump using a soft flame. Well I got distracted and before I know it after about 15 minutes the temp of the mash had reached 163. I turned off the flame and continued to recirc intill the temp was back down to 155-156 range. I had some Amalyse enzyme on hand so I added 2 table spoons to the mash thinking maybe this would reintroduce enzymes back to the mash that would have been denatured (sp?). Then I figured as an addded measure I added another pound of 2 row thinking this would supply additional enzymes too. I then let it sit an additional 45 minutes at the lower 150 degree f range. Does this sound like it makes sense?

I'll post back once its done fermenting to reveal my findings

Makes sense to me. I did that once (no BJ, just all new burners that I hadn't used before). I ran into 160s. The beer came out tasting like 8 ball but I didn't have extra grain or enzymes like you did to salvage the situation. Hopefully it works, if not invite your frienemies over for a couple of pints of your version of Old English 800.

The winner of last year's ASH Kolsh Cup was won by a guy with a very similar story. I bet it turns out great.

Thanks all, I will post back and let you know how it turns out. it was supposed to be my take on New Hollands Dragons Milk and I was planning to age on bourbon soaked oak cubes (half the batch anyway) so the bourbon may compliment the malty sweetness nicely. the other half is fermenting with Belgian 550 and I was planning to dose with Brett in the secondary and age so that will probably work out well too. As the brett will have something to consume.

Well after 20 days in the fermenter the cal ale yeast WLP001 is at 1.020 and the Belgian WLP550 is at 1.024 (and still fermenting) considering my OG. was 1.094 (after 90 minute boil and adding a pound of honey it was 1.084 pre-boil) seems like adding the enzymes and 1 pound of pale malt reintroduced enough enzymes to the mash to finish the sugar conversion.

Back