Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nala. My AKC and CKC, ( currently working on more titles ) pick of the litter, champion bloodline yellow lab. She is trained to duck hunt and is an excellent duck dog. I did all the training myself, she knows all whistle commands, verbal commands, and hand motions. She has done 400 yard blind retrieves. She's my prized possesion.

image-4281410978.jpg

This is my 113 lb. boy Jack

Lazy_Jack.jpg

He can really be a handful at times..... I snapped this after he got into the pantry, found the biscuits and got his head stuck in the box.... I didn't even know until he came stumbling into the living room banging into the walls cause he couldn't see where he was going, what a knucklehead!!!

biscuit_head_4-1-1.jpg

:D Awesome.

Nala. My AKC and CKC, ( currently working on more titles ) pick of the litter, champion bloodline yellow lab. She is trained to duck hunt and is an excellent duck dog. I did all the training myself, she knows all whistle commands, verbal commands, and hand motions. She has done 400 yard blind retrieves. She's my prized possesion.

My buddy has 2 yellow labs. One is Simba, the other is Nala.

My brew dogs, recently adopted. Barley & Blue:

2zqfw92.jpg

MC

i'm assuming those are aussies too? are they both males? they look a lot bigger than discnjh's and my aussie is about the same size as his... interesting breed, they can be all over the map.

regardless, they are beauties!

i'm assuming those are aussies too? are they both males? they look a lot bigger than discnjh's and my aussie is about the same size as his... interesting breed, they can be all over the map.

regardless, they are beauties!

Thanks! Yes, both Aussies are male (neutered very young apparently). Barley (64 lbs) is the largest (tallest) Aussie I've personally seen and owned. His paws are the size of my fist. Blue (66 lbs) is 3-4" shorter but about 15-20 lbs overweight.

Great dogs, and they shed a ton. Mine will get a military crew cut comes May.

MC

android said:
indeed, they do shed like it's their job. please post a picture when you shave them, i bet they look funny! i could never bring myself to shave off mine's coat.

My aussies are 45 and 50 lbs. Otter, the red tri-color, gets a haircut every summer. He always looks pretty funny for the first couple days.

indeed, they do shed like it's their job. please post a picture when you shave them, i bet they look funny! i could never bring myself to shave off mine's coat.

Yes they will look funny. And Blue will look quite fat (if he hasn't shed pounds by then) when they get shaved.

It's funny because when I had my previous Aussie shaved, I thought he looked like a little boy (and a few folks said the same thing).

Here's what a moderately shaved Aussie looks like. link

Another one.

MC

Misplaced_Canuck said:
Yes they will look funny. And Blue will look quite fat (if he hasn't shed pounds by then) when they get shaved.

It's funny because when I had my previous Aussie shaved, I thought he looked like a little boy (and a few folks said the same thing).

Here's what a moderately shaved Aussie looks like. link

Another one.

MC

We had to shave ours a couple of summers ago when the AC stopped working for a few days. It was at that point that we figured out he was overweight.

This is my Fiance's parents dog, so my dog in law? Anyway, he had a spinal blockage when he was 3 and has been in his cart ever since. Happiest dog i've ever been around.

ForumRunner_20120208_085131.jpg

Here is how you do a dog cam.

Love it. Though what happens if you see the dog doing something you don't want? If you can't stop him immediately, it's not like you can scold him later.
Do you just do something preventative for next time?

Love it. Though what happens if you see the dog doing something you don't want? If you can't stop him immediately, it's not like you can scold him later.
Do you just do something preventative for next time?

There is a listen and a talk feature that could work in some situations.

I use the cams to gauge his mood and if he's freaking too much, I can stop at home for awhile. I also make sure he doesn't evade the wireless fence and go over the wall.

My dog is on trazadone, sertraline and diazepam for separation anxiety. Those last two drugs are zoloft and valium BTW.

http://foscam.us/ has some ~$100 wireless cams that have pan and tilt which are amazing for the price. Unfortunately the outdoor ones are fixed position.

I'll add that the most difficult thing about cams is redirecting ports. Many routers don't allow you to do this.

http://www.yawcam.com/ is a good dog cam solution for a laptop.

If you get a programmable router (one that can run dd-wrt) you'll be golden. That's what I use at my house. dd-wrt also has integrated DYNDNS - allows you to register a hostname and be findable by DNS.

I don't have enough bandwidth to run more than a couple cameras. (I only run DSL)

I keep an eye on the dogs to see if they have any bad behavior when I'm away. Other than the couch, the pups are good at my place.

If I bust one doing something he shouldn't, I can take measure to prevent it the next time.

Yesterday I saw the dogs run to the front door waving their tails*delete* butts and I figured the UPS guy had dropped some goodies. 2 minutes later, the UPS "it's delivered!" email came in my mailbox :D

MC

Here is how you do a dog cam.

I can never let my life see the dog cam or she would make me buy it immediately. She wants the kennel to have a webcam so she can see if our dog is ok when he's there. We left the boy there for 3 nights to go snowmobiling and she cried for an hour when we left. We almost had to turn around. Actually maybe the dog cam is a great idea, I might be able to get her to go somewhere for more than 3 nights....hmmmmm.

I can never let my life see the dog cam or she would make me buy it immediately. She wants the kennel to have a webcam so she can see if our dog is ok when he's there. We left the boy there for 3 nights to go snowmobiling and she cried for an hour when we left. We almost had to turn around. Actually maybe the dog cam is a great idea, I might be able to get her to go somewhere for more than 3 nights....hmmmmm.

I can pull up the webcam on my Smartphone, FYI...

MC

I use the cams to gauge his mood and if he's freaking too much, I can stop at home for awhile. I also make sure he doesn't evade the wireless fence and go over the wall.

My dog is on trazadone, sertraline and diazepam for separation anxiety. Those last two drugs are zoloft and valium BTW.

You actually have to drug your dog to calm it down? My dog used to get separation anxiety too, when she was a puppy she got into my wife's college textbooks and ruined 3 of them while we left her home for the day. Thankfully at the time we were in a puppy training class with her, told the trainer what she did, and we worked with her on it. She is fine now, and is very excited for us to come home, but it would be interesting to get a camera in the house to see what she does to keep herself busy all day.

You actually have to drug your dog to calm it down? My dog used to get separation anxiety too, when she was a puppy she got into my wife's college textbooks and ruined 3 of them while we left her home for the day. Thankfully at the time we were in a puppy training class with her, told the trainer what she did, and we worked with her on it. She is fine now, and is very excited for us to come home, but it would be interesting to get a camera in the house to see what she does to keep herself busy all day.

Speaking from my recent webcam experience:

1) Sleep
2) Look out the window
3) Sleep
4) Sleep
5) Rest.
6) Catch a nap
7) Repeat.

On occasion: Bark at the UPS/Fedex guy.

Left the house at 8:10, turned on the webcam @ 8:30, now 9:30. Still wearing out the same spot:

2ue1ul0.jpg

MC

I might try to convince the wife to let me get a camera. I'm sure my dog does the same thing, with a little terrorizing the cats thrown in since she still doesn't quite understand that they want nothing to do with her. My guess is she spends most of the day looking out the picture window in the kitchen waiting for my wife to come home. There are some nights I get home a few hours before my wife and I sometimes forget I have a dog because she just sits next to a window looking out to our driveway, waiting for my wife to get home. I am just the one that feeds and lets her out to the bathroom...my wife is the loved one.

These webcams are just too funny!

If it were more economical for me, I might look into it. Just can't afford it currently.

Haha.. too funny! I know Blade would just sleep around waiting for someone to finally show up back home. Though, that is only as long as we don't leave any butter on the kitchen table. Otherwise, he'd be there.

He is also known as the Butter Bandit.

Fennis said:

Yea, there is a whole thread on it. Goes through drywall in 15-20 minutes.

Yea, there is a whole thread on it. Goes through drywall in 15-20 minutes.

That is an anxious dog! I still have to be careful with my dog. Last winter I was at my moms and we left the dog in the house to go the movies or something, we came back and my mom had forgotten she just baked 3 dozen oatmeal raisin cookies and left them on cookie racks to cool. Well, Fenn found them, ate all 3 dozen. We brought her home that night and she got violently sick all over our kitchen, then went into her crate where she likes to sleep and threw up all over her bedding, then went to the only room in the house with carpet and threw up there. I learned that night that dogs can be severely allergic to raisins, in fact according to the animal poison control, it can cause kidney failure. They told us to watch her overnight (one drawback to living in the middle of nowhere with no open/24hr vet clinics), give her lots of water, and sure enough the next morning she was back to normal, but that was a big scare. I cannot imagine her eating our drywall though...I could see her chewing on wood furniture if she didn't have so many toys and a "fresh" ham bone to gnaw on every few weeks. She still barks when we leave her, but that's about it...then again if the wind blows just right or a car door shuts somewhere within a half mile around us, she barks too.

TI learned that night that dogs can be severely allergic to raisins, in fact according to the animal poison control, it can cause kidney failure.

Dogs do not tolerate grapes. Raisins = dried grapes.

I found 3 @*(&# ticks on Barley last night. Ugh. And he's on Advantix too. (Had it put on the night before).

MC

Here is mine he is 18 months here and about 130lbs. And yes he dose suck on his bed every night just like a pacifier. We shave him in the summer for his comfort because it get to 100 most days. He is a papered dog but we did not buy him we rescued him from a life in a cage. The owners kept him in a cage all day unless they put him on a leash to do his business the back in the cage. they said he was to hyper and would jump on the kids all the time. He was 6 months at the time.

brody.jpg

Back