Keezer Lid Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seven

Reaction score
Our GE 7.0 keezer can fit most corny kegs on the freezer hump just fine. However, for some reason a few of the corny kegs block the lid from closing all the way when the quick-connects and hoses are connected to the keg. Not sure why this is but maybe these kegs have the hose barbs at a slightly different angle than the others.

It appears the quick disconnects/hose-barbs are blocking the inside of the keezer lid from closing by only a very small amount. I'm wondering if I can cut or carve about half an inch from the inside of the keezer lid to give the hose barbs more clearance so the lid can fully close.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to cut a small section from the inside of the lid to give the hose connections more clearance?
2. If yes to number 1, what would be the best way to accomplish this?

I'm guessing the lid interior consists of plastic with a foam center. My thought is to cut a rectanglar section out of the inside lid right where the keg would sit using an razor-knife or other cutting tool. Then I could cut or scrape some of the foam out to create more interior clearance for the keg connectors.

Does this sound possible? Am I way off base? Any other suggestions to give the keg connections just a tiny bit more clearance?

I don't want to penetrate the keezer lid completely. I only want to carve out a small interior section (see pic with green rectangle below) to give the keg hose barbs more clearance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

03.jpg

06.jpg

05b.jpg

I was always under the impression that there is no critical parts running through the lid since I've seen builds where people cut through to install towers, etc. I would think the only risk you run is the bit on insulation you might lose where you cut out.

Loving the blue light in there, btw! ;)

Definitely can be done. I came across a thread yesterday where somebody did exactly that. I wish I could find it now though...

You could remove the original plastic inner lid panel and replace with a piece of flat plastic. Its hard to see for sure in the pic but that might buy you the clearance you need.

Maybe I'll try to remove the inner lid panel to see if that gives me the clearance needed. It does protrude downward into the keezer by about 1/2-inch.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Pull that liner and just put some foam insulation back in its place, it will knock an inch off the lid easy.:rockin:

Success! I was able to cut two small notches from the inner-lid to make room for the keg hose barbs. Now the lid seals perfectly and I can fit four corny kegs in the keezer as originally planned.

13.jpg

18.jpg

That last picture is the money shot. What is that blue light coming from and what are all the chained zip ties holding up? Is a muffin fan?

That last picture is the money shot. What is that blue light coming from and what are all the chained zip ties holding up? Is a muffin fan?

It's a spare PC fan I had. I'm experimenting with some air flow ideas ... hence the temporary zip tie solution.

I'm planning to create a wooden plank of some sort that I can mount fans to and reposition as needed. More pics to come!

Back