Hunting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo boo

Reaction score
Anyone else hunt? I had a good hunt last year.

newfiecowboy.jpg

boo boo said:
Anyone else hunt? I had a good hunt last year.

That is just too far out, dude, how did you do that? Yeah, the white tail rifle season is about 6 weeks away, and all the boys are gettin real antsy, know what i mean? Oh yeah, Did you ride that thing home? LOL.......:)

I spent quite a while in the woods this last month (now the total is 13 days) doing archery hunting for elk and deer. No luck. I am looking forward to pheasant season and salmon and steelhead fishing though!

Is that Dude's mom?!

Not much of a hunter. Avid gun enthusiast, though...and not the "Soldier of Fortune" kind who owns all sorts of strange borderline illegal weaponry. I just enjoy guns, targets, and generally blowing **** up. Can't count the number of rounds of trap and skeet I've shot.

Yup, this will be my first season actually. Bow season isnt looking to good because of all the rain we have been getting. Everything in the marsh is just flooded. Hopefully it dries out by general gun.

Yuri_Rage said:
Is that Dude's mom?!

Not much of a hunter. Avid gun enthusiast, though...and not the "Soldier of Fortune" kind who owns all sorts of strange borderline illegal weaponry. I just enjoy guns, targets, and generally blowing **** up. Can't count the number of rounds of trap and skeet I've shot.

You probably make your own guns in your workshop, don't you?

McKBrew said:
You probably make your own guns in your workshop, don't you?
It's crossed my mind, but I don't have the tooling...yet. I'd certainly make scope mounts, accessory parts, and/or make modifications if I had the need.

dibby33 said:
...is that a chocolate moose?

It's about as black as they come around these parts.

BTW, that really isn't me, but I wish it was.

Season is opened here now and I'm partnered with someone who
do have a licence. Mmmm Mooseburgers on the BBQ. Tis the season.

I'm a hunter but not as much this year, I think. My son is hunting more, and we really don't need that many deer.

I like deer hunting and small game hunting around my property, and my friend's 3000 acres. My daughter is the only one in our family who doesn't like to hunt, but she loves to go fishing.

I need a picture of me riding on a moose- that would make a great label for my brown ale.

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but it seemed like a good place to post this...

I recently bought some fairly cheap surplus ammo for an older bolt action rifle that I own. It turns out that the bullets were copper jacketed with a lead and STEEL core (a magnet sticks to the bullet!). So, I brought a piece of 3/16" steel plate to the range yesterday just to see what would happen. I was a little surprised at the results:

4688-pierced.jpg

Those were fired at 50 yards, offhand. I'm not going to post the caliber, rifle, or source because I think it's a little scary, and I don't want someone with less than honorable intentions to read this and get ideas.

Have any of you experienced this sort of thing with ammunition purchased over the counter from a reputable supplier?

Any time I hear surplus + ammo, I immediately think military and FMJ or solid steel, cause that's the only type of surplus I've seen up here. Not good for much, I've never found it very accurate.

You got some m2-ap rounds didn't you ? They'll fit a wide variety of rifles that'll shoot 30-06 ammunition. They're pretty common rounds, nothing really unethical about selling them - I can buy em any day of the week.

Very much a hunter. Been doing it since I was 12. With any luck there will be a muley and an Antelope in my freezer soon. Yummy,

We're still eating the meat from the three deer I dropped the day after Thanksgiving. One of them was a nice 7-pointer...dead-on through the top of the skull from 240 yards. I'm ready to make another go at it this year.

Hey if you're a deer hunter - check out the pictures in my gallery. Those were taken near a salt lick on my farm just a few days ago. I've got a tree stand with a dummy hunter in it 40 yards away from that spot, the deer are already used to seeing someone up in the tree !! ha ha ha - Bow season starts Oct. 16.

See that big 6 point with the rack outside the ears ? I'm going to let him go this year, he gets a free pass this season, but that 8 point in the picture with the tall thin rack or the small bucks, they get harvested.

Here in Alabama we can take 1 buck and 1 doe, or 2 does per day. I'll probably kill 15-20 in total all season long. My best season was 2004-2005, I killed 22. 20 bucks and 2 does.

They are military surplus FMJ rounds, but not .30-06. They seemed pretty accurate, though I doubt they'll be used for anything other than target practice - surely they're worthless for any big game application. These weren't sold as AP rounds, and there's no marking to indicate that, but they definitely go through some steel. I just didn't realize this sort of thing was so easy to come by.

Sorry for the OT thread-jack.

Yuri_Rage said:
I just didn't realize this sort of thing was so easy to come by.
I was sold an ammo box full of tracers once - .308s. I assumed the guy didn't bother checking that box...

I do tend to get up early to watch the sunrise myself too!

sunrise102806.jpg

I'm into waterfowl mainly. Only been deer hunting once. Here's another shot from a trip to Winnipeg.

firstdaystake.jpg

I go whitetail hunting every year. I'm getting excited just thinking about it! :rockin: My parents own 380 acres in north central MN and build some pretty heavy duty deer stands.

To say the least, I'm a little spoiled.

stand.jpg

boo boo said:
Man that is one hell of a nice shot, and I don't nesessarly mean the ducks.

those be dekes type ducks my man 1 week for that season to open here in sw mi
bow season opens monday oct 1

Yep, I hunt too. Just got this a few days ago:
pronghorn.jpg
Going out next week for archery mule deer and later in the month for elk.

Thanks CC -- I got him just off the north-east corner of CFB Suffield, north of Medicine Hat. I do a lot of work out in that area, so it was a pretty easy hunt.

Do you guys ever shoot anything you don't eat?

I have no problem with hunting if it's for food. I don't realy like killing things but if it tastes good on a plate and is worth the effort then I will.

I've only ever had the opportunity to shoot pheasant and partridge and they do taste good.

I would never shoot something just for the sport of it.

I have no problem with trophy hunting, but I personally don't hunt for trophies. I actually go out of my way to find an animal that I know will be good eating as opposed to good bragging rights. Regardless, all the guys I hunt with eat everything they take.

Aside from elk or moose hunting, the areas I hunt are predominantly native prairie. It is really nice to know that the animals I have taken are all organic, free of pesticides and steroids. I also butcher and package everything myself, so I know exactly the quality of my meat. I also had to do the 'dirty work' personally -- killing the animal, gutting it, dressing it, butchering, etc. Personally, I think everyone who eats meat should experience this at least once. I think it would help people appreciate that meat we consume a lot more, and the animals that were sacrificed to put food on our plates.

Anyways, Orfy I completely agree with you -- I disagree with the act of shooting animals for the sport of it when one has no intention of harvesting them. A shameful waste.

freyguy said:
I'm into waterfowl mainly. Only been deer hunting once. Here's another shot from a trip to Winnipeg.

You were in my stomping grounds. Where were you actually hunting? Let me know next time you come up and you can come over for a homebrew and hunt on my land or some of the surrounding area. I live about an hour's drive east of the city. Great hunting and fishing out here.

http://www.lacdubonnet.com/

orfy said:
Do you guys ever shoot anything you don't eat?

Sometimes I have to pop a nuisance critter and I sure wouldn't eat a skunk, but I don't think that's what you mean. Every hunter I know eats what they shoot. In my case I take no sport in hunting; it's strictly for the meat. Now, that being said there's something a little thrilling about stalking a bear to see how close you can get before you place a round in the perfect spot to preserve as much meat as possible.

With the exception of our seal hunt (don't get me started) everyone I know eats everything they shoot.

Well perhaps I best explain the seal hunt question. The seal hunt is mainly to harvest the pelt and the meat is a bycatch if you will. I agree that every seal killed should have their meat processed as I'm against waste of any kind. The fact remains that like every wild animal, the seal will eventually kill themselves due to overeating their food source, IF left to nature and not man, to the point of what every species will. A harvest is benificial to us and the animal rights guys have taken our traditional method away from us and forced us to use a more humane method (guns) to kill with. All reports of clubbing seals in the commercial hunt is false and used by animal welfare people to raise funds.

Now back to a land hunt... our moose draw is overloaded with entrys and not enough moose to fill them. So we have to enter a pool every year to see if we get a licience. It has been 2 years since I got this tastey animal. 80 lbs a quarter dressed.

mylastmoose420.jpg

And while not an elephant, he did taste good on the barby.

Nice catch, boo boo. Moose meat sausage on the barbecue is just awesome.

Seriously, no clubbing? There must be a lot of people still doing it because of all the pictures that are being taken. I agree the meat should be used, but clubbing is just as effective as shooting. I use electrocution and exsanguination to kill my chickens and turkeys. I'm just glad the animal rights people aren't on my doorstep. Perception is everything with those people.

Fingers said:
Seriously, no clubbing? There must be a lot of people still doing it because of all the pictures that are being taken. I agree the meat should be used, but clubbing is just as effective as shooting.. Perception is everything with those people.

Nope no clubbing unless it is staged for the cameras. Hard to regulate that.

And while clubbing is just as effective, the sight of sealers pelting live animals arouse the world community to condem the cruel practise. I don't agree with cruelity of any form and this it clearly was.

As for perception, most animal rights groups perfer to keep the myth alive of seal clubbing to generate funds from donors. Something they can't do as effectivly if they published the truth. All these pictures of whitecoats being killed are decades old now. There hasn't been a cute whitecoat commercially killed since the ban 20 years ago, but you still see the photo ops with celebrities getting their pics alongside them. Paul McCarthy was one of these along with his estranged. For all his money, he is still uneducated, at least as far as that was concerned.
You can't always beleive what you hear on the TV and Radio.

Latest posts

Back